Choosing or raising a rooster ??? Couple questions for my options

Your electric wire reminds me of when our neighbors ducks bit the electric fence my horses were in. We found one of them hanging on the fence one morning. My neighbor was pretty mad, but it was our property. Guess I should have put up a no trespassing sign in duck language. I hope your chickens are don't try that.
I'll take my chances on the electric fence any day because my chickens don't fly over it when the fence is on! Its keeps all of them safe not just one! Thanks!

I'll take my chances on the electric fence any day because my chickens don't fly over it when the fence is on! Its keeps all of them safe not just one! Thanks!
My neighbor keeps his chickens/dogs and mine separate with a couple electric fence strands and it works perfectly with no casualties. My cats even respect it.

I have to say - Thanks for the bird recommendation. I am very pleased with these Cream Legbars I'm raising! They are amazing so far! And what a sweet little cockerel the one is ! Hope it stays good :)

My neighbor keeps his chickens/dogs and mine separate with a couple electric fence strands and it works perfectly with no casualties. My cats even respect it.

I have to say - Thanks for the bird recommendation. I am very pleased with these Cream Legbars I'm raising! They are amazing so far! And what a sweet little cockerel the one is ! Hope it stays good :)
Glad your cream legbars are working out! I had to cut my fence off to move my energizer after pounding new ground rods in the ground in a shady spot .Still don't have it hooked back up lol If it doesn't work after all this I'm hiring professionals lol

Crested cream legbar roosters(blue egg layer)crossed with brown leghorns( white egg layers) gives you hybrids that lay pale blue eggs. F1's resemble cream legbars

Last edited:
Hello there. I have a mixed flock with a few production hens (Black Sex Link, RI Red, Easter Eggers, Olive Egger) in their prime of laying who are squatting and willing to breed. I also have over a dozen 4-5 month old heritage breed hens who are *almost* laying... They are different colors of Marans, Ameraucana, Wyandottes, Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, Orpington. Finally I have a new batch of brooding Cream Legbar and Barred Rock chicks which has friendly male Cream Legbars and perhaps a Silver laced Wyandotte male (SLW is NOT friendly). I opted for a straight run because I had never gotten a single rooster in all my pullets! A neighbor of mine would like to take 1/2 Cream Legbar roosters for her flock. But by Spring, I am trying to supply some fertilized eggs with neat looking chicks and egg laying colors for a genetics project for my son's school. They have an incubator. It is really just an experiment of curiosity but we need a Rooster/Roosters. We have a good amount of space, a Great Pyrenees stationed next to them, 3 separate coops, and free range the chickens too. So a pretty good set up.

My son is 6. He loves the chickens and helps me clean the coop/collect eggs. I don't want a rooster that ruins that for him or will hurt him. I am open to eating a bad rooster. Not up for discussion.

I just recently met a neighbor who has 2 young cockerels to re home because they only have 5 hens. Both are pretty nice and have been raised gently but not handled TOO much. The Ameraucana is very pretty with silver on his neck and several colors. He mostly avoids human contact but let me pick him up off the perch and fell asleep while I petted him. But he was attentive to the 1 hen he prefers. The Big Barred Rock is huge and VERY watchful of the hens. He does not come to people but he let my son pet him no problem. I held him without any problems, but when I shooed a hen for pecking my toes, he came AT ME hard. I pushed him back.

My question is this: Which Roo should I take in for my son's dedicated flock in terms of temperament? I'm leaning towards the Ameraucana but I read they can be aggressive! I also may keep one of my brooding males because I will have SO many hens and want them covered. I wouldn't mind having spare roos for flock shepherds in case I lose one to a predator. As I said, I'm able to separate the runs/coops and free range them separate times/ etc.

I either want to be successful raising a good rooster or pick a nice one. I feel like I have a few good opportunities here. Just need to make good decisions! Guide me O Great Chicken Whisperers. Lol.
look into getting an Aseel/Shamo one of the best breeds out there. Very good temperament towards humans and good flock protectors. Cant keep them with other roosters or theyll fight.

One doesn't HAVE to give either roosters OR kids access to the entire flock. Perhaps you could set up a breeding pen from which you could get fertilized eggs and KNOW exactly who the parents were. 🤔 Just a thought. Good luck! 🙌🏻

Crested cream legbar roosters(blue egg layer)crossed with brown leghorns( white egg layers) gives you hybrids that lay pale blue eggs. F1's resemble cream legbars
I just have one point of lay that was mixed with a white leghorn instead. I’ve been getting lots of pale blue eggs already.
Is there a name for a LegbarxLeghorn?
I’ve heard sapphire but haven’t confirmed

I just have one point of lay that was mixed with a white leghorn instead. I’ve been getting lots of pale blue eggs already.
Is there a name for a LegbarxLeghorn?
I’ve heard sapphire but haven’t confirmed
The leghorn is one of the breeds used to create the autosexing cream legbar. Crossing the 2 breeds together now would create an easter egger

Back
Top Bottom