Choosing or raising a rooster ??? Couple questions for my options

Pics
Update: We have 4 roosters now working 4 flocks. My son raised a cream leg bar too and he is BIG and friendly! We are culling one beautiful olive egger jerk and growing out a wheaten marans rooster since our hen turned out so perfect. We ended up with a broody hen who hatched her own babies and have witnessed the natural cycle of life for chickens. My son has loved building his own flock and growing out his own rooster. FUN. He is completely fine with culling the mean ones :) Thank you all so much for your input is has been SO helpful!

Yes, there's horror stories galore about the damage they can do. I've only been flogged twice from behind from my Kong for walking in front of him and not setting treats down fast enough. The first time it startled me and we both jumped lol. The second time I woke up and decided to stop turning my back on him when I have treats. He's my favorite boy and I've been eye to eye with him and had the mindset he'd never hurt me. And he hasn't but it's a trigger I had to learn about him.

My buddy Kong.View attachment 3624995
nice! that's a really pretty bird

Attachments

• IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 3
My neighbor keeps his chickens/dogs and mine separate with a couple electric fence strands and it works perfectly with no casualties. My cats even respect it.

I have to say - Thanks for the bird recommendation. I am very pleased with these Cream Legbars I'm raising! They are amazing so far! And what a sweet little cockerel the one is ! Hope it stays good :)
Both of my legbars are doing great but I separated them.They aren't competing and over mating the hens( have their own flocks now)One has 9 hens and the other has 8

Back
Top Bottom