Choosing or raising a rooster ??? Couple questions for my options

Pics

bigsurfwaves

Songster
Apr 6, 2023
Hello there. I have a mixed flock with a few production hens (Black Sex Link, RI Red, Easter Eggers, Olive Egger) in their prime of laying who are squatting and willing to breed. I also have over a dozen 4-5 month old heritage breed hens who are *almost* laying... They are different colors of Marans, Ameraucana, Wyandottes, Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, Orpington. Finally I have a new batch of brooding Cream Legbar and Barred Rock chicks which has friendly male Cream Legbars and perhaps a Silver laced Wyandotte male (SLW is NOT friendly). I opted for a straight run because I had never gotten a single rooster in all my pullets! A neighbor of mine would like to take 1/2 Cream Legbar roosters for her flock. But by Spring, I am trying to supply some fertilized eggs with neat looking chicks and egg laying colors for a genetics project for my son's school. They have an incubator. It is really just an experiment of curiosity but we need a Rooster/Roosters. We have a good amount of space, a Great Pyrenees stationed next to them, 3 separate coops, and free range the chickens too. So a pretty good set up.

My son is 6. He loves the chickens and helps me clean the coop/collect eggs. I don't want a rooster that ruins that for him or will hurt him. I am open to eating a bad rooster. Not up for discussion.

I just recently met a neighbor who has 2 young cockerels to re home because they only have 5 hens. Both are pretty nice and have been raised gently but not handled TOO much. The Ameraucana is very pretty with silver on his neck and several colors. He mostly avoids human contact but let me pick him up off the perch and fell asleep while I petted him. But he was attentive to the 1 hen he prefers. The Big Barred Rock is huge and VERY watchful of the hens. He does not come to people but he let my son pet him no problem. I held him without any problems, but when I shooed a hen for pecking my toes, he came AT ME hard. I pushed him back.

My question is this: Which Roo should I take in for my son's dedicated flock in terms of temperament? I'm leaning towards the Ameraucana but I read they can be aggressive! I also may keep one of my brooding males because I will have SO many hens and want them covered. I wouldn't mind having spare roos for flock shepherds in case I lose one to a predator. As I said, I'm able to separate the runs/coops and free range them separate times/ etc.

I either want to be successful raising a good rooster or pick a nice one. I feel like I have a few good opportunities here. Just need to make good decisions! Guide me O Great Chicken Whisperers. Lol.

Personally, I might keep your Cream Legbar. You might suggest the other 2 roosters to your friend. I most definitely wouldn't take the Barred Rock. It could be terrible if your son decided to play with the chickens and that rooster came at him. Having a rooster that you raised right from the hatch is going to give you a better chance of him being really nice. I would keep your Legbar!

I don't have much insight in those breeds as far as temperament, I only have 3 BCM's and 1 Belgium D'Uccle. 4 separate flocks.
I think I would try the Ameraucana and keep one of your Cream Legbars.
If your Ameraucana is pure and depending how dark your Marans and Welsummer eggs are you should hatch out Olive Eggers.

With all that said if this your first time with Roosters I would seriously think twice about letting your son take control of a Rooster flock. If he makes a wrong move there's a heavy chance of an injury. Roosters change your flock dynamics. He takes over your hens, there not yours or your sons anymore. Seriously read up on owning a Rooster and how to manage your flock with one or more. If you have had Roos then negate all that but I would still never let him near a Rooster without you personally covering him at least until he's old enough to understand a Roosters mindset and all the do's and don'ts and triggers especially in young cockerels.
Not trying to diswade you. Its a great thing he's doing being responsible and caring for living creatures on a daily basis. Lots of character building there but Roosters can be extremely dangerous to a young person who still thinks they can hug and play with their chickens.

I don't have much insight in those breeds as far as temperament, I only have 3 BCM's and 1 Belgium D'Uccle. 4 separate flocks.
I think I would try the Ameraucana and keep one of your Cream Legbars.
If your Ameraucana is pure and depending how dark your Marans and Welsummer eggs are you should hatch out Olive Eggers.

With all that said if this your first time with Roosters I would seriously think twice about letting your son take control of a Rooster flock. If he makes a wrong move there's a heavy chance of an injury. Roosters change your flock dynamics. He takes over your hens, there not yours or your sons anymore. Seriously read up on owning a Rooster and how to manage your flock with one or more. If you have had Roos then negate all that but I would still never let him near a Rooster without you personally covering him at least until he's old enough to understand a Roosters mindset and all the do's and don'ts and triggers especially in young cockerels.
Not trying to diswade you. Its a great thing he's doing being responsible and caring for living creatures on a daily basis. Lots of character building there but Roosters can be extremely dangerous to a young person who still thinks they can hug and play with their chickens.
Agreed. A rooster could take his eye out faster than what you could even think.

Agreed. A rooster could take his eye out faster than what you could even think.
Yes, there's horror stories galore about the damage they can do. I've only been flogged twice from behind from my Kong for walking in front of him and not setting treats down fast enough. The first time it startled me and we both jumped lol. The second time I woke up and decided to stop turning my back on him when I have treats. He's my favorite boy and I've been eye to eye with him and had the mindset he'd never hurt me. And he hasn't but it's a trigger I had to learn about him.

My buddy Kong.
IMG_20230701_130759.jpg

I agree. I would not let a rooster near a child, particularly if it was not raised within a flock with older hens and roosters to show it how to behave. They can be unpredictable until well known and accustomed to the hierarchy and i'm not sure a 6 year old would be able to establish a non-threat but still dominant creature in a roosters eye. Just my two cents. Others with personal experience should weigh in but if you haven't raised roosters before, I wouldn't start now. Sounds like your son is full of excitement right now and amazing opportunities to learn. Just takes one or two pecks and scratches to spoil his entire experience moving forward.

Hello there. I have a mixed flock with a few production hens (Black Sex Link, RI Red, Easter Eggers, Olive Egger) in their prime of laying who are squatting and willing to breed. I also have over a dozen 4-5 month old heritage breed hens who are *almost* laying... They are different colors of Marans, Ameraucana, Wyandottes, Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, Orpington. Finally I have a new batch of brooding Cream Legbar and Barred Rock chicks which has friendly male Cream Legbars and perhaps a Silver laced Wyandotte male (SLW is NOT friendly). I opted for a straight run because I had never gotten a single rooster in all my pullets! A neighbor of mine would like to take 1/2 Cream Legbar roosters for her flock. But by Spring, I am trying to supply some fertilized eggs with neat looking chicks and egg laying colors for a genetics project for my son's school. They have an incubator. It is really just an experiment of curiosity but we need a Rooster/Roosters. We have a good amount of space, a Great Pyrenees stationed next to them, 3 separate coops, and free range the chickens too. So a pretty good set up.

My son is 6. He loves the chickens and helps me clean the coop/collect eggs. I don't want a rooster that ruins that for him or will hurt him. I am open to eating a bad rooster. Not up for discussion.

I just recently met a neighbor who has 2 young cockerels to re home because they only have 5 hens. Both are pretty nice and have been raised gently but not handled TOO much. The Ameraucana is very pretty with silver on his neck and several colors. He mostly avoids human contact but let me pick him up off the perch and fell asleep while I petted him. But he was attentive to the 1 hen he prefers. The Big Barred Rock is huge and VERY watchful of the hens. He does not come to people but he let my son pet him no problem. I held him without any problems, but when I shooed a hen for pecking my toes, he came AT ME hard. I pushed him back.

My question is this: Which Roo should I take in for my son's dedicated flock in terms of temperament? I'm leaning towards the Ameraucana but I read they can be aggressive! I also may keep one of my brooding males because I will have SO many hens and want them covered. I wouldn't mind having spare roos for flock shepherds in case I lose one to a predator. As I said, I'm able to separate the runs/coops and free range them separate times/ etc.

I either want to be successful raising a good rooster or pick a nice one. I feel like I have a few good opportunities here. Just need to make good decisions! Guide me O Great Chicken Whisperers. Lol.
Anytime I have good roosters I think it's because I have 2 or more, anytime I have bad roosters I think it's because there's only 1. Also, my banty silky 'roos are the most gentle with people and hens. More than 1 rooster has ended up in my freezer over the years because of brutish behavior towards my kids and my grandies. I don't play that game. 1 time is more than enough to earn a freezer nap and a crockpot spa day. Also, I have a great recipe for rooster stew and a few extra roosters I am more than willing to donate 😉

I must add as much as I "trust" all my boys and yep all the people that think I'm stupid for trusting any Roo (Yes, I've never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed) but I have grandbabies here on a daily basis and they do not EVER go near the pens without me covering them. We look but we don't touch the chickens or the pens. I will slaughter all 4 flocks before I'd let anything happen to my grandbabies.

I agree. I would not let a rooster near a child, particularly if it was not raised within a flock with older hens and roosters to show it how to behave. They can be unpredictable until well known and accustomed to the hierarchy and i'm not sure a 6 year old would be able to establish a non-threat but still dominant creature in a roosters eye. Just my two cents. Others with personal experience should weigh in but if you haven't raised roosters before, I wouldn't start now. Sounds like your son is full of excitement right now and amazing opportunities to learn. Just takes one or two pecks and scratches to spoil his entire experience moving forward.
Excellent advise !

Back
Top Bottom