Choosing Tylan vs Baytril vs LA 200

ngennetta

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2016
Colorado
Hi All. I was hoping you could help me with a project I am working on.

I have been writing up some info about treating respiratory infections. I have found that they can either be fungal, bacterial or viral, and many share very similar symptoms. A definitive diagnosis would need a vet.

However if one doesn't have a vet available and has decided that their bird has a respiratory concern, what is the process for choosing Tylan, Baytril or LA200? Since one won't fix all, where should one start?

Thanks for helping me!

Does this help?
http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/gamebirds.pdf
antibiotic_table.JPG

https://www.baytril.com/en/farm-animals/poultry/poultry-respiratory-diseases/
baytril bayer_1.png

baytril bayer_2.png

baytril bayer_3.png

baytril bayer_4.png

baytril bayer_5.png

baytril bayer_6.png

Thank you @casportpony, that is great!

I'm sorry if I was confusing in my post.

Let's say my bird has a respiratory illness. But I don't know specifically what the illness is.

Which medication should I start with and try first? If that doesn't work, which would be the second line choice?

Let's say my bird has a respiratory illness. But I don't know what the illness is.
My first choice is *always* Baytril. :oops: I choose this because it treats more than the other two.
Two of the more common respiratory bacterial infections are E. coli and pseudomonas aeruginosa, which Tylan will not treat, and tetracyclines probably won't treat. Baytril will treat many strains of both.

For Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 to be effective, it should be given 3-4 times a day, which I sure don't want to do. LA200 can cause severe injection site necrosis, so I will probably never use it.

Baytril is banned for use in poultry, so one should consider that before using it.

No, I don't. I am working on a project about treating illness in backyard flocks. I will take a look that that link, thank you

No, I don't. I am working on a project about treating illness in backyard flocks. I will take a look that that link, thank you
You doing this for your blog? If so, be sure to include lots of disclaimers about Baytril and it being banned for use in poultry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom