Chopped Straw - Where do I find it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dbahan, Dec 28, 2007.

1. dbahan

dbahan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Nashville
    I just finished reading "Keep Chickens" by Barbara Kilarski. Great book. But in it she often refers to using chopped straw on the floor of the coop. That sounds like a great idea (maybe it won't get as matted as regular straw) but I have no idea where to get it. I asked at the Co-Op where I get my straw bales and they had no clue.
    Also, I started using cedar shavings over a month ago in the henhouse and nesting boxes before I read that it was dangerous to hens. I really like using the shavings. Have I done them damage? And am I to assume correctly that pine shavings are OK?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I never could find chopped straw, either. Pine shavings is definitely the way to go! Absorbent, nice smelling, won't hurt their lungs, etc. I use a sprinkle of cedar under the straw in the nest boxes and occasionally under the roost, but only about 20% of my total shavings, so the smell isn't overpowering.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No idea where to get chopped straw. As for cedar shavings, get some out and replace it with pine. It damages their airways which makes them more susceptible to respiratory problems.

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I think I saw it at Tractor Supply Company a while back.

5. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I would also go with the wood shavings, mine like them, but as for "CHopped" straw, you could get a bale of straw and if you have a lawn mower with a bagger on it, use that to chop it and collect it (just take out the strings first) or get a machete and go to town on the bale until it is chopped up enough for you.[​IMG]

6. blevisay

blevisay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2007
    Portland Tn
    passing straw through a blower (used for lawns) or a chipper shredder should do the trick

7. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I buy bales of straw to put down, I have an open coop so I can't really put shavings down or they'll mold. :eek:

8. mirime

mirime Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Quote:hehee [​IMG] I was gonna ask this question too - thanks for the answer, muddler!

9. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I've heard alot of nightmare crop issues from using straw. Would chopped straw not cause the same problems?

10. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Straw of any kind is almost impossible to find here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by