Christmas Geese and Appleyard Ducks

Quote:
Let's talk about goose fat.
wink.png

I filled a 1 quart jar with it the last one I roasted. It was a sad day when we used the last little bit of it for roasted potatoes.

My 30 slaughter geese go to the processor tomorrow, with customers arriving tomorrow night to pick them up fresh. We're about to be up to our gills once again in goose.

Wow, What a nice flock. My husband wants Christmas Goose this year too. Since I've never even tried it I'm trusting you Miss Prissy & Greyfields. Do you cook it like you would Turkey? Is any breed better for food than another?

All goose is made of goose, just like all chicken tastes like chicken.

It is similar to roasting a turkey, yet rather different, too. The meat is dark, like duck. The flavor is rich and filling; unlike turkey which only tastes like the gravy you put on it. The goose carcass is much longer than a turkey, with a smaller breast. So you are carving the meat off the whole torso, rather than just cutting into the breast meat.

You can roast them like you would a turkey. But, use a meat thermometer. Since the meat isn't as thick, you can quickly overcook them.

You can also go crazy in the kitchen, like we do. Last year we confit'd the legs. We cut off the neck, stuffed it with pork sausage meat and the organs, then confit'd it in the goose fat and some of our homemade lard. We then just roasted the torso. So we had three great dishes using just the one beast.

And if I didn't mention it, get a meat thermometer.

Quote:
Let's talk about goose fat.
wink.png

My grandmother and mother also raised geese and fattened them up for Christmas. They would render the goose fat down and the rich brown bits... just heavenly. When the rendered goose fat would solidify, we all ate it spread on bread... just fabulously mouthwatering !!!

For a traditonal Victorian Christmas Goose -

You can rub the goose inside and out with coarse salt. Stuff the cavity with onions, apples, sage, carrots, black pepper, butter, etc. and truss the legs closed. Roast at 450 for 15 - 20 min. Turn down the heat to 350. Every 20 min baste the bird with its own juices, initially a little butter and wine will help it along.

You want to turn the goose on its side for one hour. Then turn it on its other side for one hour. The final 15 minuntes you want to roast it on its back.

On a larger bird cooking time should be 15 min per pound. The internal temp should be 180.

Thanks Greyfields. Just got a call from my MIL in Canada - She is coming for Christmas - Yea! She can help me cook it. I am so excited, We have never spent Christmas with my in-laws, so after 15 years of marriage this is a first. Unfortunatly, FIL passed away last April but at least Mom will be here. I've got to start cleaning and decorating and looking for that meat thermometer!

One other thing - when cooking your meal to compliment the goose you don't want to use chicken stock. Get some good beef bones and cook them down to a rich dark beef stock for use with the goose.

A few additional tips for roasting meat:

Have the meat at room temperature before putting it in the oven. Leave it on the counter overnight typically works.

Use a meat thermometer. Expect the bird to increase 5-10 degrees after being removed.

Always let the meat rest 20 minutes, covered in aluminum foil, before carving. Don't let it rest in the pan it was cooked in, but put it o a cutting board or rack.

Use a meat thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom