Christmas is coming early Hatch-A-Long!

Pics
True. As you know this last hatch ended up kinda bad so part of the reason I’m taking a break but can’t wait until spring when I can hatch again.
Are your birds seasonal layers? You are in Florida so maybe not? Always a good thing to set eggs after birds have taken a break, my hatches seemed to go more smoothly when I started hatching again in the spring. My birds quit laying in laying September.

Are your birds seasonal layers? You are in Florida so maybe not? Always a good thing to set eggs after birds have taken a break, my hatches seemed to go more smoothly when I started hatching again in the spring. My birds quit laying in laying September.
My birds are kinda laying some are some aren’t but it’s not consistent as it was they lay a coupe one day be without for a couple and get a couple another day.

I used to love hacting silkies!!! I miss it. Can't anymore. :(
019.JPG
007.JPG
IMAG0928-1.jpg
FB_IMG_1547854249637.jpg
20180318_234612.jpg
20170504_131017.jpg
FB_IMG_1517888460120.jpg

Last edited:
I've never ordered directly from a hatchery, just bought hatchery chicks at the feed store. I don't know for sure if they were vaccinated or not, but I would like to have chicks vaccinated against Mareks from what I've read. I only have one friend with chickens and we work together but don't visit eachothers flocks. Otherwise I make sure I change clothes and shoes if I do get around any birds that aren't mine, which is very rare.

I'd like to get the Top Hat special from Cackle, but my layer coop plans are quickly filling up so I don't have extra spots left right now. And Blue Jersey Giants, Splash australorps, Blue Rocks, Delaware, Welsumer, Speckled Sussex, just a few of all the breeds I want at some point 🤣
I was thinking of finding someone who sells buff silkie chicks, and Meyer does, but I don't like the ones they show pictures of. Cackles look a little nicer, but I think it's just best if I find a seller of buff silkie eggs on eBay and deal with selling extras as I only want a roo and a hen. I guess I would have to try out DNA testing on a few and mark them somehow. Going to wait until February or so to order them though.

Back
Top Bottom