Christmas is coming early Hatch-A-Long!

Pics
I was thinking of finding someone who sells buff silkie chicks, and Meyer does, but I don't like the ones they show pictures of. Cackles look a little nicer, but I think it's just best if I find a seller of buff silkie eggs on eBay and deal with selling extras as I only want a roo and a hen. I guess I would have to try out DNA testing on a few and mark them somehow. Going to wait until February or so to order them though.
Yeah, of the hatchery photos I've seen, Cackle's look the best. Some have photos of "silkies" with straight combs. Why oh why would you use those to advertise your birds unless that is a common trait in your line? And if it's a common trait, I don't want them, lol.

It seems you should be able to find a buff breeder easily enough.

Yeah, of the hatchery photos I've seen, Cackle's look the best. Some have photos of "silkies" with straight combs. Why oh why would you use those to advertise your birds unless that is a common trait in your line? And if it's a common trait, I don't want them, lol.

It seems you should be able to find a buff breeder easily enough.
That's why I bought the eggs in the first place because they were half-price, and because she said she had 3 buffs in that pen, and because I'm an addict.

But, I got no buffs. This one I don't even know what color it is but it's not buff which would be orangish. I've never seen one like it. I'm keeping this one though whatever it is. Whatchya think?

Attachments

• wilma 3 11-17-23.jpg
    wilma 3 11-17-23.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 6
  • wilma 4 11-27-23.jpg
    wilma 4 11-27-23.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 6
  • wilma1 11-27-23.jpg
    wilma1 11-27-23.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 7
  • wlima2 11-27-23.jpg
    wlima2 11-27-23.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 7
Oh good! I've never used added light either.
I never want to argue about stuff like this but I truly believe those who add light so their chickens will keep laying are actually shortening the life of their hens laying years and their lives as well. If someone does it, more power to them, but our chickens are not just for eggs either.

Chickens can only lay so many eggs in their lifetime and we can either get them as they come or speed it up, and I think most of us choose to just get them as they come.

valley of death.jpg

I never want to argue about stuff like this but I truly believe those who add light so their chickens will keep laying are actually shortening the life of their hens laying years and their lives as well. If someone does it, more power to them, but our chickens are not just for eggs either.

Chickens can only lay so many eggs in their lifetime and we can either get them as they come or speed it up, and I think most of us choose to just get them as they come.

View attachment 3692983
I agree with that as well

Back
Top Bottom