Christmas is coming early Hatch-A-Long!

Pics
:hugs It's always sad when they don't hatch, hurts the heart. 💔

Pipping but not hatching usually means the humidity wasn't high enough or ventilation issues, (not enough oxygen). You did get the humidity higher toward the end, but these two might have been further along when the moisture was still lower and they needed more. And make sure your vents are wide open at lockdown, is your machine still air or forced air (has a fan)?
It is forced air, the vent was open, but yes, maybe I didn't get the humidity high enough fast enough. I'm all set for the ones who will hatch later this week though. If I hatch in February/ March it will still be lower humidity in the house so I'll be looking for a humidity pump I can add to the incubator.

Grinch getting a drinky drink, check out the perfect little toes!
20231218_070439.jpg

Star's little fluffy bum
20231218_070409.jpg

Noel has a massive mane and I noticed a little itty bitty strip of feathers on her legs.
20231218_070402.jpg

Max wouldn't hold still 🤣
20231218_070334.jpg

It is forced air, the vent was open, but yes, maybe I didn't get the humidity high enough fast enough. I'm all set for the ones who will hatch later this week though. If I hatch in February/ March it will still be lower humidity in the house so I'll be looking for a humidity pump I can add to the incubator.
The NR360 has a much larger vent, so that one I actually close to a crack to try keep humidity up. It's got another hole about 1/2" diameter on the other side too so I think there's more ventilation than what meets the eye with that one.

I looked at my Brinsea and it's just that tiny hole with a twist cover for it and no other holes. Quite a difference! I'll show hubby and see if he thinks we should drill a hole half the size the NR360 has. However, maybe I should leave well enough alone. If the wheel doesn't squeak, don't grease it.

Smokejump gave the new additions a thorough inspection and decided they weren't too interesting. I have them in a wire cage so I don't have to worry about him if he ever gets overly curious. And no sooner written than it happened, he's trying to fit his feet through the cage, so he's now outside for the night and I'll find some hardware cloth to add to the cage. Little stinker.

View attachment 3707642

Here they are in a quick group photo by the Christmas tree! No time for posing, I didn't want them to get cold 😊

View attachment 3707641
View attachment 3707640

Here is Star 🤩

View attachment 3707643

Let me see if I can get them all straight, Max and Grinch have fuzzy feet, Noel has really long bare legs.

Noel's long legs and the 5th toe sticks straight up her legs 🤣

View attachment 3707644
View attachment 3707645

Max has a massive mane thing going on, I haven't captured it well yet.
Awwwwwww!!!!! They are so adorable!!:love Congratulations!
You got a nice variety of colors! I love Star's gray color.
I checked, they have quit 😕 they were great at lockdown, I wonder what happened? I didn't open them but the air cells were sucked down the side and the dark mass I could see didn't look very chick shaped.
Poor Eggnog and Jovie.:hit I'm so sorry!:hugs

My Grinch baby 💚 You should teleport them here. Lol. Is Grinch pure silkie or silkie mix?
Grinch is an EEx white TSC silkie cross. I don't know genetically what color the EEs are, but I have one brown EE (Maple) so I'm assuming it is Grinch's mom, and 1 white EE (Fig) which must be Max's mom. As both eggs were laid the same day, we have to have to have 1 chick from each pullet 😊

We could meet in Greensboro NC? Not teleporation, but a possible transport solution 🤣

@TwoCrows Noel and Grinch have to be Nu babies, they both have 5 toes on each foot and Nu had the correct # of toes and Heavy didn't! I don't know about Max because it only has 4 toes / foot.

Back
Top Bottom