Christmas tree tax

I know I'm not buying a tree anywhere they start calling them "Holiday Trees"... I just might get too confused about what the tree is for
hu.gif
Thanksgiving, right??

The government passed a cigarette tax after the Civil War with a host of other taxes, all the others were repealed... except the cigarette tax.

Obama in 2009 tripled the cigarette tax.

They already had plans to raise the "fee" to .20, just another example of the government here to help you, or in this case the christmas tree grower.

They are after the folks that buy plastic trees and you can bet the next move would be to ban the sale of plastic trees by the USDA like they did to raw milk. It is just the way it works out.
hmm.png

Quote:
Awesome!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_taxes_in_the_United_States

On February 4, 2009, the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 was signed into law, which raised the federal tax rate for cigarettes on April 1, 2009 from $0.39 per pack to $1.01 per pack.[5][6] The purpose of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) is to provide aid for impoverished children. With the increased revenue from tobacco taxes SCHIP can now afford to include families with up to three times the federal poverty level as well as children from high-income families in New York and New Jersey. SCHIP will also be able to cover dental benefits and treatment of mental illnesses where it previously could not. In addition to providing these services for U.S. citizens, SCHIP is also expanded to cover immigrant children and immigrant pregnant women

Again, if you can afford $100 for a tree, and not the extra 15 or 20 cents to support the growers, perhaps you should re-evaluate your budget.​

Quote:
Awesome!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_taxes_in_the_United_States

On February 4, 2009, the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 was signed into law, which raised the federal tax rate for cigarettes on April 1, 2009 from $0.39 per pack to $1.01 per pack.[5][6] The purpose of the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) is to provide aid for impoverished children. With the increased revenue from tobacco taxes SCHIP can now afford to include families with up to three times the federal poverty level as well as children from high-income families in New York and New Jersey. SCHIP will also be able to cover dental benefits and treatment of mental illnesses where it previously could not. In addition to providing these services for U.S. citizens, SCHIP is also expanded to cover immigrant children and immigrant pregnant women

Again, if you can afford $100 for a tree, and not the extra 15 or 20 cents to support the growers, perhaps you should re-evaluate your budget.​

its not if we can afford the .15 . just another hidden tax...start as .15 then next thing it will be 1.00 and so on. just like gas tax, they added that when gas price are going down, their way of hiding.

Quote:
Oh yes can't have Christ in there......not if its a goverment saying.....sorry we don't need to go there.

reminds of back in the day when we had east and west germany . In germany they would say " christ kind"( christ child) which is a female angel with long flowing hair. The east part which had areas known for their crafts would call them " jahres endzeit Fluegel figuren which would roughly translate to " end of the year winged figurines"
i say Merry Christmas to whomever, but i am perfectly happy if you wish me a Happy Hanukah or Kwanzaa or whatever you celebrate. Just dont say Happy Holidays.

Ok, everyone is overlooking an important point. The government did NOT originate the idea for this fee. The lobbt, employed by the tree growers approached the government. They said "we will pay you 15cents a tree if you launch an ad campaign to get people to buy more trees." The government said no.

So how is the government the bad guy here?

By the way, it's still called the "White House Christmas tree". The story that said otherwise was another of those hysterical internet rumors.

Thankfully I bought a nice fake Christmas tree last year after the holiday season when it was 75% off. I grew up with real trees; I would go out with my mom and dad, pick the right tree and my dad with saw it down. Very good memories. Ever since I moved to Arizona, we have fake trees, with the exception of 1 year and my ex mother in law paid $100 for her real tree.

From what I read and heard today, it was Obama's idea in the first place...when it was shot down left and right, he placed the blame on someone else acting like it was all just nonsense.
Who knows.
Shifty shifty.
And yes, aren't they "Holiday Trees"?
xD

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom