christmas turkey

rule6660

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Boothbay
So i am thinking of raising 3-4 turkeys for Christmas dinner. Is it too late and what size cage do i need? I was thinking of ordering a few eggs what would be a nice big bird to choose? Thank you for any info!!

Even at that, I wouldn't try getting eggs and hatching them for Christmas dinner. By they time they hatch, it will be about August 1 (they take 28 days).

If you want to do it this year, I'd check around and try to see if you can't get some poults that are anywhere from just hatched to preferably something about 4 to 8 weeks old already.

I think broad-breasted eggs would be OK now. If they hatched August 1, you would still have all of August, September, October, November, and most of December to grow them up. If your after birds in the 15 to 20 lb range dressed, that should be plenty of time for a BB turkey. Heritage birds take at least 7 months to grow. YOu may be able to find some started heritage poults that would be ready for Christmas.

If you give us your general location, someone may be able to give you a lead on some poults near you.

Last edited:
Quote:
But, what fun is 15 to 20 lbs? I can get that in any store.
tongue.png

If I'm going to go to all of this bother, I want some giant monstrosity that won't fit in my oven and will make the family think I roasted an emu!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom