chronic ear infections in adults?***AGAIN***

sdshoars

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Texas
my ear is KILLING me, and i have a dr.s appt later this morning, but this is my third ear infections since the beginning of august. has anyone else had to deal with this? i am going to ask my doctor about it. *sigh*

Last edited:
He needs to take a culture and have it analyzed. A couple years ago I ended up in the ER with unbelievable ear pain, the canal had swollen shut. I'd been on and off the usual ear meds for years.

The culture turned up a bacteria resistant staph infection which had to be treated with gentimicin a drug normally used for eyes. Worked like a charm.

I used to get them in college when I was swimming daily. It went BEYOND swimmers ear in my case.
I now suffer from vertigo. The moment I even begin to get a head cold the rooms start spinning.
I agree a culture needs to be taken so you can find out exactly what is going on and then treat it.
That is my next step with my daughter.

So sorry to hear of the pain you must be in!

Xylitol is a good and medically-accepted treatment for ear infections.

You can make a tincture - put the drops in your ears, and gargle with a solution. You can get the Xylitol gum and chew that as well.

I treat ear/sinus infections and nasal symptoms all the time with Xylitol, and recently successfully treated conjunctivitis w/o antibiotics.

PM me if you want more details

(added: the faster you jump on symptoms, the better it works... if you can start with Xylitol tincture at the first hint of illness, you can beat it before it gets to the point of having to see the doctor)

Last edited:
normally i have an idea that i am getting an ear infection, but i didnt this time. i just woke up in extreme pain this morning. i just got back from the dr. and he put me on cephalexin (anitbiotic) and flonase to see if that will stop it. he said if i get another infection within six months he is going to send me to an ear, nose, throat dr. in the city. he said i am starting to scar on my ear drum, and if this doesnt handle it i may have to get tubes in my ears. i left before i was able to read your responses, so i did not tell him to take a culture. if i am still hurting monday i have to go back, i will tell him then. all i know is that this sucks. royally.

Last edited:
I get an inner ear infection at least once or twice a year.

The best way to avoid it for me is to keep my nose from plugging up. Flonase, Afrin, anefrin...

Once I get it I have to use either Keflex or Ceftin.

After having read here, I'm going to try and get some Xylitol.... for the next time.

What I want to know is where you could get a tincture?

I know where I can get Trident gum.

Quote:
My daughter is currently on the cephalexin. The Zithromax didnt do much. She is already saying her ear feels better.. and it was really bad

I hope you feel better soon.

After having read here, I'm going to try and get some Xylitol.... for the next time.

What I want to know is where you could get a tincture?

You can't get a tincture, you have to make it yourself.

This is where I buy my Xylitol (avoid the corn-based kind, it's got a weird taste). They are having a buy 2 get 1 free sale, which is great!

http://www.xylitol-brand-comparison.com/?gclid=CITvt_Okxo8CFQqZggod03C0Xw

2-3 containers should last you a long time. I bought 2 a year ago and use it for eating/cooking as well as tinctures.

To make a tincture

Put 1/4 tsp Xylitol into a small dropper bottle (I use the dark brown bottles - I have about 100 as I used to be the herbal consultant at a health food store)

Fill with sterile saline solution and shake well (I make my own saline with Redmond's sea salt and distilled water. You have to strain before adding it to any tinctures since it does have mineral particles)

Place 3-4 drops in your ear, laying over on your side for 5 minutes, then repeat w/ other ear

for extra help

Snuff some up your nose: place a dropper-full on your palm, plug one nostril, place the other nostril down into it and sniff hard. Or you can do both at once if you're brave.

Xylitol gargle solution: warm some bottled water in a clean coffee cup. Put in 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp or more of Xylitol (to taste) - stir and gargle multiple times with the solution until it is gone.​

Last edited:
joy to the world. 20 days later i have another infection in the same ear, i gotta go back to the dr. i am gonna tell them to swap my ear, this crap is ridiculous. i just finished my anitbiotics for the last infection like a week ago!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!

ETA- i had an allergic reaction to the cephalexin, apparently you arent supposed to have that if you are allergic to penicillin, which i am. i ended up on bactrin... ugh.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom