Chronic Pasty Butt Problems

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
So I've got one little chick that has had pasty butt issues for a week, a hatched chick not a shipped one. I kept cleaning off the bum twice a day with a warm washrag and then used a q-tip to apply some olive oil. Two others had issues for a couple of days, but stopped getting pasty bums quickly. I am concerned because today I can tell the little one is starting to get dehydrated. Its little feets and legs are definitely starting to look taunt. So after the most recent bum cleaning session, I had the little one drink some lukewarm water by dipping its beak in the water. I know it has been drinking, but either not enough OR constant diarrhea is taking its toll. The little one won't touch the yogurt I've offered, either by leaving it in the brooder and putting chick crumbles on top to make it more appealing, or hand feeding. I've tried smearing a bit on the side of the beak so it'll eat some, but no luck. The chick still has the strength to complain when I clean off its bum and then run back underneath the ecoglow brooder afterward before resuming normal chick activities of running around the brooder.

What else could I do to help out the little one? It is a blue purebred araucana (not tufted, but still) and I don't want to lose it.

I added some apple cider vinegar in my water dishes after I deep scrubed all the food and water dishes. My little guy still didn't make it. I did leave the yougurt in the brooder box and all the chicks ate it. Maybe try some sugar water.

I'll have to find some ACV tomorrow to try, hopefully I can find unfiltered stuff with the Mother still in it. I may try sugar water, but I know excess sugar can cause diarrhea too. I definitely want to get the chick hydrated and poopin' normally.

I have been using colloidal silver on my araucana's they seem to have the pasty bums more than other breeds.
You get it at health food store, if you get from Wally world it's not the same stuff and will not help.

Quote:
Do you think I could find it at an old fashioned compounding pharmacy? We have one in town. What are the benefits, and how is it used? Is it topically put on their bums?

I've never had a chick survive this, a washed their butt several times a day but it was constantly running out, faster then he could drink.

I don't know of any other place to get it then the health food store, we live in a small town and that the only place that has it.
It's a natural antibiotic, I use it for cuts, sore throat, burns etc.
I put 1 drop in corner of mouth in AM and 1 in PM to chicks.

I use the powdered baby parrot formula, sprinkling it over their feed and if necessary, mixing it with water and making a paste. sometimes they have to have it forced, but once they taste it, they love it and dig in, despite beng unwilling to eat or drink previously.

I think the key is to get it into them all before they start to fail, as the probiotics seem to make a difference. I give it to all of my chicks now, putting it atop their crumbles for the first couple of weeks.

Do you think if I mix the yogurt I have with some warm water, or get kefir, I could do the beak dipping to make the chick drink it? That will hopefully help with hydration and get some probiotics in it until it starts eating yogurt on its own. Some of the chicks pick at it when it is in the brooder, but they aren't huge fans yet. I use plain lowfat yogurt.

Hi, I had a chick with Pasty butt issues....kept cleaning, cleaning and it returned...again and again....so, after researching BYC, found post that recommended using olive oil on and around vent area. I was at my end...so after cleaning up the vent area, applied some olive oil, and it was gone...just that simple. This really worked for my reoccuring problem, hope it works for you if you try it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom