Chronic pasty butt..?

la399

Chirping
Jun 3, 2019
Hi all,

I am new here and this is my first time raising baby chicks. I did a fair amount of research before hand and so far everything is going extremely well except for recurring pasty butt with only one chick out of the three we have. They will be one week old tomorrow (June 4) and I know that this should subside after then but I have tried everything to prevent it and she still keeps getting it for some reason. I own reptiles so I had an extra thermostat I have been using to regulate their heat lamp as well as temp gunning the surface to ensure that it is at 95 degrees. The cool side of the brooder stays around 77 and they are behaving as they should by going back and forth under the light, no panting or huddling under it. They are all eating and drinking well and I have added ACV to their water at this point in hopes of it helping as well. I also spread a bit of Vaseline under the chick's vent but so far it has not worked. I have caught the pasty butt early every time so as to stop it building up worse and the last time after cleaning her up I think she was truly blocked because a long poop landed in my hand (lol). Is there anything else I can do for her or do I just need to keep checking her every couple hours and cleaning her up? TIA!

I found that cleaning up the chick with warm water and a cotton ball did well, I also trimmed butt fluff to avoid the poop from sticking.

Its not even that it is sticking to the hair so bad as it is the little bits of fluff and skin directly under the vent :( I have been gentle with warm water each time so she is not raw or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom