Chronic pasty butt?

slippednfell

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
AR - OZARK Mountains
Is there such a thing as chronic pasty butt?

I got 20 chicks from an online hatchery. Hatch date 7/31, so they are 3 weeks old. 15 are bantam and 5 are standard size. (I meant to order bantam but must've been so excited that I accidentally ordered standard.) :eek:

One of the bantam chicks is teeny, tiny. (S)he is bold and active; quite the fighter but (s)he has pasty butt. At first it was bad, but following advice in other threads, I've treated it appropriately and it isn't as bad. (Warm water, gentle wiping, Vaseline, apple cider vinegar (with "the mother") in the water, even alternating it with probiotics and electrolytes in their water.)

At one point, about a third had pasty butt, but with one bath and some Vaseline, they all cleared right up. This one chick just doesn't seem to clear up. Daily baths for this one have become the norm. Is this something that is going to remain a problem on-going? Is there something I can do that I haven't tried?

I have the adjustable heating plate as a heat source. I have it low on one side for the smaller chicks and higher for the standard chicks. I give plenty of water and chick starter regularly and an occasional treat of plain yogurt, boiled egg yolk, scrambled egg, meal worms & cheerios (the later three with grit).

I appreciate your help and wisdom.

Can you post some photos - her poop and before you clean her up and after please.

Thanks for your patience @Wyorp Rock. Yesterday, when I checked her, she was all clear. I checked her again today and she is all clear. (This happens to me with my vehicle when something is wrong with it... the minute I take it in, they can't get it to do the same thing.) :he

I will post photos if the problem occurs again in the near future.

Thanks for your patience @Wyorp Rock. Yesterday, when I checked her, she was all clear. I checked her again today and she is all clear. (This happens to me with my vehicle when something is wrong with it... the minute I take it in, they can't get it to do the same thing.) :he

I will post photos if the problem occurs again in the near future.
Hey, that is wonderful news that her bum is not staying pasty!!!:)
No apologies, I'm just glad she is doing well!

Is there such a thing as chronic pasty butt?

I got 20 chicks from an online hatchery. Hatch date 7/31, so they are 3 weeks old. 15 are bantam and 5 are standard size. (I meant to order bantam but must've been so excited that I accidentally ordered standard.) :eek:

One of the bantam chicks is teeny, tiny. (S)he is bold and active; quite the fighter but (s)he has pasty butt. At first it was bad, but following advice in other threads, I've treated it appropriately and it isn't as bad. (Warm water, gentle wiping, Vaseline, apple cider vinegar (with "the mother") in the water, even alternating it with probiotics and electrolytes in their water.)

At one point, about a third had pasty butt, but with one bath and some Vaseline, they all cleared right up. This one chick just doesn't seem to clear up. Daily baths for this one have become the norm. Is this something that is going to remain a problem on-going? Is there something I can do that I haven't tried?

I have the adjustable heating plate as a heat source. I have it low on one side for the smaller chicks and higher for the standard chicks. I give plenty of water and chick starter regularly and an occasional treat of plain yogurt, boiled egg yolk, scrambled egg, meal worms & cheerios (the later three with grit).

I appreciate your help and wisdom.
Think it must happen a lot with chicks that are shipped in the mail! I got 7 and 2 had pasty butt that I successfully treated after 2 days!
definitely always check your chick’s butts lol! I wouldn’t have noticed if it had not been for another chick who lightly peck at its butt! It’s hard to see this in silkies because they’re super duper fluffy!

Back
Top Bottom