1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chronically poor egg quality from 1 hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mandelyn, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    One of my red star girls (I have 2, both are 1 year old) that lays the most beautiful XL brown eggs. The other used to. Now, they're much lighter in color, smaller, have a smattering of freckles, thinner shells, and bumps on the end where you can see it where it "closed up" in the making. Instead of smooth and nice and with a solid color.

She also has paled in the face a bit, but is acting normal. Looks like she might be going into molt? Losing some facial feathers and random feathers elsewhere, slowly. Diet is good, high quality layer crumbles, fresh greens and grass, tomatoes, all the good stuff. Oyster shell laying around free for the taking.

I noticed some bugs on one pullet, so dusted everyone. I haven't wormed yet but plan to this next week.

She's been laying these wonky eggs every day for about 3 weeks. I know for a fact they really are 1 year old since I bought them as pullets last year.

She acts totally fine. But those eggs... blah. What gives? Everyone else has perfect eggs.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by