Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Thanks!! That’s good to know. I’ll focus on that then!! any ideas for which ones??

I used a broom yesterday but not sure if I’ll continue to do that way. I liked that way, it was easy, but thinking next time maybe I’ll use a cone and knife or just cut the head off.

Wonder if I could put it in a bucket after killing instead of getting a cone?
After killing??? You don't put them in the cone afterwards you put them in it the entire time.

After killing??? You don't put them in the cone afterwards you put them in it the entire time.
Yeah I know but I thought the cone was mostly just to prevent flapping?? Was thinking I could kill them another way and then put them in a bucket for the flapping hah

Yeah I know but I thought the cone was mostly just to prevent flapping?? Was thinking I could kill them another way and then put them in a bucket for the flapping hah
Tbh if you’re doing the broomstick I prefer to just hold the legs. I would imagine they would bounce right out of the bucket if you just tossed them in after the broomstick. What you can do is make a bucket into a killing cone by cutting a hole in the bottom of the bucket.

If you’re going to eat the bird, broomstick method isn’t the best. They need to bleed out for the cleanest carcass.

sorry for your loss, by the way. :(

Also @FortCluck did some good knife research several pages back in the thread but she can probably tell you what she found.

Tbh if you’re doing the broomstick I prefer to just hold the legs. I would imagine they would bounce right out of the bucket if you just tossed them in after the broomstick. What you can do is make a bucket into a killing cone by cutting a hole in the bottom of the bucket.

If you’re going to eat the bird, broomstick method isn’t the best. They need to bleed out for the cleanest carcass.

Also @FortCluck did some good knife research several pages back in the thread but she can probably tell you what she found.
Thank you!!! That’s very helpful!! I probably should have held his legs but I didn’t realize he would flap all over the place :oops:

That’s a good idea about the bucket though!! Might try it.

And yeah, that makes sense, although oddly his head popped off when I tried it :oops: I might have done it too hard though. But he definitely bled. But a knife or hatchet or something would probably be best to ensure he bled.

And thank you!! :hugs

It was sad but I knew it was better than him suffering so the actual killing wasn’t too bad oddly. Though I was hoping to breed him :hit

He was so handsome :hit

Anyway, thank you and I’ll have to see if I can find those pages.

Thank you!!! That’s very helpful!! I probably should have held his legs but I didn’t realize he would flap all over the place :oops:

And yeah, that makes sense, although oddly his head popped off when I tried it :oops: I might have done it too hard though. But he definitely bled. But a knife or hatchet or something would probably be best to ensure he bled.

It was sad but I knew it was better than him suffering so the actual killing wasn’t too bad oddly. Though I was hoping to breed him :hit

Tbh, the head coming off with the broomstick is a better option especially for the first times. It is INCREDIBLY easy not to use enough force with the broomstick and NOT finish the job. That’s worse than anything else when you’re trying to HELP a bird cross. :-/ I still haven’t decided if the broomstick method is really advisable for someone with no experience.

Everything is learning. My first one, for my all time favorite hen, I didn’t do it enough and didn’t kill her the first time. :-( then she flopped six feet in the air when I did it right. What a nightmare. It was epically awful, I spent a few minutes shrieking at myself for being such an idiot, and incredibly comical if viewed from the neighbors I’m sure.

Tbh, the head coming off with the broomstick is a better option especially for the first times. It is INCREDIBLY easy not to use enough force with the broomstick and NOT finish the job. That’s worse than anything else when you’re trying to HELP a bird cross. :-/ I still haven’t decided if the broomstick method is really advisable for someone with no experience.

Everything is learning. My first one, for my all time favorite hen, I didn’t do it enough and didn’t kill her the first time. :-( then she flopped six feet in the air when I did it right. What a nightmare. It was epically awful, I spent a few minutes shrieking at myself for being such an idiot, and incredibly comical if viewed from the neighbors I’m sure.
Awww I’m so sorry!!! :hugs

My dad actually tried to break his neck in his hands at first, he thought it would be less stressful than laying him on the ground, but it didn’t work and he didn’t die and it was awful 😭

But thankfully I stepped in immediately and did it myself with the broom so he didn’t really suffer or anything like that, it was only like a few seconds, but still sad. He opened his beak a bit/moved his head, clearly still alive, and looked around 😭

But I was just immediately like “you didn’t do it right, he’s still alive, give him to me” and held him upside down for a second to kind of stun/calm him, laid him on the ground, and did it right away.

It was a bit shocking when the head popped off and then when he started flopping all over the driveway and yard but I was mostly just relieved I was able to end it so fast.

Still feel awful it wasn’t immediate though because I should have insisted on my way harder. I tried but he wouldn’t listen and I feel awful 😭

The killing itself wasn’t even that bad. Just the fact he didn’t die right away. :(

You need to hang the bird upside down for it to bleed out

We just bought a hatchet at Tractor Supply because my husband wants something quicker than a knife 🤷🏼‍♀️ I think he just wants more sharp objects 😂 typical man

He used the excuse that he was buying it for me 🙄 He even got it in orange camo

Back
Top Bottom