Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I think the Silver Grey Dorking is what is giving this color. @BlueBaby kept it's hatch-mate with the 5 toes. This one was the largest in her brooder.

Very nice coloring. It's really neat that 3 different forum members contributed to produce that chicken.

I'll eat the hearts and the gizzards. Just can't get past the taste of the liver. I'll use them for stock and get just enough flavor to be acceptable. You want these? They are fresh!

Growing up, my mother always put the hearts, gizzards and livers in the pan with chicken to cook. They were always done earlier, so as a treat, she would let me and my brother share the heart and the gizzards, while she always ate the liver. As such, I developed a taste very early on for chicken organ meat. I always save the livers to make pate, or bring to my mother as gift, as she loves chicken livers. Sometimes I eat the hearts, but usually now, I give them to my dogs. My husband doesn't much care for them, and feels a little odd making up a plate of organ meat for myself.

The cones do put an end to the mess as well as other problems. I do not use one because I am really cheap. Maybe one day I will make one. more often than not I end up covered in blood from a flapping chicken. One day I finished up with a chicken with 5 minutes to get to the store before it closed to get something I needed that night. I forgot to change my white shirt. The good news was that it was halloween. I had forgotten I was splattered with blood.

My husband doesn't much care for them, and feels a little odd making up a plate of organ meat for myself.
After cooking and making stock, I will separate the organ meat. Add it to eggs for breakfast. Add to rice for flavor. The daughter has gotten shy about eating here. She won't eat any of it if she suspects that I'm trying to poison her. :lau

Even if I dice it really small.

The cones do put an end to the mess as well as other problems. I do not use one because I am really cheap. Maybe one day I will make one. more often than not I end up covered in blood from a flapping chicken. One day I finished up with a chicken with 5 minutes to get to the store before it closed to get something I needed that night. I forgot to change my white shirt. The good news was that it was halloween. I had forgotten I was splattered with blood.
Take a chicken sized plastic jug (bleach worked, orange juice or other food grade material) cut the bottom off. Leave the handle on. Cut the screw cap off with enough room to get your knuckles in the jug to guide the chicken head and smaller than the chicken.

Using two nails, nail to a solid surface. Tree or wall. One nail at top of cone and one through the handle near the bottom. Saves a lot of time not worrying about the cone coming off. It is easier to nail it to a 2"x6" and then nail that to a tree.

About as cheap as you can get. I hold the head to collect the blood for the garden in a bucket cause it will make a mess.

About as cheap as you can get. I hold the head to collect the blood for the garden in a bucket cause it will make a mess.
I like to put straw under the bird, sometimes its straw straight from a coop with some poo on it too. When I am done I bury the straw in the bottom of a hot compost pile with the offal. Bucket may be cleaner than my way of doing it

After cooking and making stock, I will separate the organ meat. Add it to eggs for breakfast. Add to rice for flavor. The daughter has gotten shy about eating here. She won't eat any of it if she suspects that I'm trying to poison her. :lau

Even if I dice it really small.
I love the dirty rice idea.

The hatch-mate I have is also much bigger then the White Rocks. Some Ranger blood is still in there! Were the chicks you hatched from the shipped eggs 1/2 Dorking & 1/2 Ranger, or was it more Dorking than that?

That one that I had hatched from the shipped egg's that @Compost King had sent to me hatched from the egg that was marked "FNN", so I guess he should still have a record of what that ment.

Back
Top Bottom