Chucks? Duckins?

tameraf

Chirping
May 24, 2017
Attached for your veiwing pleasure is my Rouen drake Marty McFly doing his special dance (the term my son uses for mating) with one of my hens. Now, he has his own mate, which he seems quite bonded to.

Is this common? Is it going to change her eggs? Are they Hatchable?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qKY7SLzSE4PKvZza9

Edited: I just realized how weird a question Inasked. I started searching and read all the comments on this subject. It kinda makes me laugh.

Regardless, I’m more worried about my hens than the possibility of a hybrid chick. If anyone can help me on that I’d a ppreciste it. If not, I’ll keep an eye on my hens to see how they are doing, and my eggs to see if they are weird at all. And obviously, I’ll share any king of odd chick hatching....lol

Last edited:
They will never produce a any offspring. It is hard enough for the chicken to cross breed with other members of the peasant family, no way is it ever going to reproduce with a duck. Mallard derived drakes and chickens do not mix, drakes have very strong hormones in the breeding season and will rape hens and gang up on roosters. It is even hard to free range them together during the breeding season, whenever the rooster mounts a hen the drake will run up to him and grab onto his head and shake him around, then he starts to mount the hen. I have never had a chicken die from being mounted by a drake but they rip up the feathers and the backs of the hens way worse than any cockerel. They will also get the hens covered in mud. The drakes will rarely try to get their penis inside of the hen and if they do they will usually miss.

I keep the mallard derived ducks away from the chickens during the whole mating season, I do keep the muscovies around all year long though. I have seen muscovies fight with roosters and hens but it usually only takes one fight for the muscovy to show them who's boss. I have only had problems with one muscovy drake mounting hens, he was imprinted on a silkie hen and a human and he was the only one that hatched. He tried to mate with the chickens, and he would do way more damage than a mallard derived drake, he would also try to mate with my shoes. I am not sure how calls do with chickens, I have never had them together.

Back
Top Bottom