Chucks? Duckins?

You can try hatching them. But mating the hen courld kill her. Drakes have penis and Roos don’t so it would harm the hens. My drakes try mating with my hens sometimes but my hens don’t take crap so like they always attack my drakes :lau
5DBD9006-9632-450C-97DB-2777D4618385.jpeg
549F6293-170C-4F01-9F6F-0FD653657001.jpeg
here are what it could look like

You can try hatching them. But mating the hen courld kill her. Drakes have penis and Roos don’t so it would harm the hens. My drakes try mating with my hens sometimes but my hens don’t take crap so like they always attack my drakes :lau View attachment 1555563 View attachment 1555564 here are what it could look like
That duck has had the webs cut away to give the impression of chicken feet.

You mentioned getting your drake a mate. It's wonderful that you are trying to be responsible and expand your flock and give a drake a good home. The thing is, he needs more than a mate, he needs his own flock of girls. I refer to my duck hen's as the drake's harem. Even with his own flock of duck hens there's no garuntee he will stop going after the chickens. Perhaps there's a way you can build a divider in your coop/run to help keep the peace. If you want to go this route, start a thread with pics of your current setup. There are lots of crafty builders on here that I'm sure can help find the easiest most practical way to modify your existing setup.

You mentioned getting your drake a mate. It's wonderful that you are trying to be responsible and expand your flock and give a drake a good home. The thing is, he needs more than a mate, he needs his own flock of girls. I refer to my duck hen's as the drake's harem. Even with his own flock of duck hens there's no garuntee he will stop going after the chickens. Perhaps there's a way you can build a divider in your coop/run to help keep the peace. If you want to go this route, start a thread with pics of your current setup. There are lots of crafty builders on here that I'm sure can help find the easiest most practical way to modify your existing setup.
Thank you for the very informative and helpful post.:thumbsup

A little bit of science for you because people can get a little confused about mules, ligers, etc.:

Ducks have 80 chromosomes
Chickens have 78 chromosomes

When their DNA (chromosomes) are being made in the egg, think of each one as one side of a zipper. When you zip up each side (80,78), they don’t match up. So you have an uneven zipper. I use this example because when DNA is forming in an embryo, it literally looks like a zipper. This means a baby will not form. I know this site is read a lot by people surfing the internet for answers, so I don’t want someone to get the impression they can try mating these two together and get offspring from them.

That being said, if you have more questions along the way please ask! Someone on here is bound to know the answer!:frow

They will need to be separated during the mating season but can be together during other times of the year. If a drake has duck hens to mate with he will mate with them usually, but once the mating season comes his body is pumped full of hormones and he instinctively fights off other drakes and mates way more than usual. If he sees a rooster mating with a chicken hen he will attack it and then mate with the hen instead. During other times of the year drakes mate way less often because in the wild the hens would no longer be laying. Juvenile drakes will be more sexually aggressive during all times of there first year, like cockerels. The mating season has been over for a while, he is only mounting the hens because he has no ducks to mate with. I have not seen any of my 6 drakes even touch a chicken for at least a month.
Chickens can only hybridize with a few other members of the pheasant family, such as guinea fowl and wild pheasants like ring-necks, they can not produce offspring with a duck, ever.
GuinNNBlonde7Mos.JPEG

RNeckxOEG3.JPEG

These are about the wildest chicken hybrids you will find.
There are lots of interesting hybrids that are possible for chickens but waterfowl is not one of them. A chicken can not even produce a hybrid with a turkey that will live for more than a few days, one with a duck is impossible.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKHybrids.html

No, no, and no! Please separate the drake. Drake’s mating chicken hens is NOT meant to happen. Please separate them!

I just watched the video... you’ve been letting him mate with that hen already? Oh, dear. That’s not good. Just please separate them (to save your hen) :th
Oh no. I didn't realize it was a video. I was on super early and barely had enough caffeine and thought I was just looking at a pic.
Ugh. I just saw it.
That is a definite no for sure.
Please @tameraf you need to separate the two. Get your drake some lovely duck hens if you want him to mate.

Back
Top Bottom