Chucks? Duckins?

tameraf

Chirping
May 24, 2017
Attached for your veiwing pleasure is my Rouen drake Marty McFly doing his special dance (the term my son uses for mating) with one of my hens. Now, he has his own mate, which he seems quite bonded to.

Is this common? Is it going to change her eggs? Are they Hatchable?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qKY7SLzSE4PKvZza9

Edited: I just realized how weird a question Inasked. I started searching and read all the comments on this subject. It kinda makes me laugh.

Regardless, I’m more worried about my hens than the possibility of a hybrid chick. If anyone can help me on that I’d a ppreciste it. If not, I’ll keep an eye on my hens to see how they are doing, and my eggs to see if they are weird at all. And obviously, I’ll share any king of odd chick hatching....lol

Last edited:
You mentioned getting your drake a mate. It's wonderful that you are trying to be responsible and expand your flock and give a drake a good home. The thing is, he needs more than a mate, he needs his own flock of girls. I refer to my duck hen's as the drake's harem. Even with his own flock of duck hens there's no garuntee he will stop going after the chickens. Perhaps there's a way you can build a divider in your coop/run to help keep the peace. If you want to go this route, start a thread with pics of your current setup. There are lots of crafty builders on here that I'm sure can help find the easiest most practical way to modify your existing setup.
Thank you for the very informative and helpful post.:thumbsup

A little bit of science for you because people can get a little confused about mules, ligers, etc.:

Ducks have 80 chromosomes
Chickens have 78 chromosomes

When their DNA (chromosomes) are being made in the egg, think of each one as one side of a zipper. When you zip up each side (80,78), they don’t match up. So you have an uneven zipper. I use this example because when DNA is forming in an embryo, it literally looks like a zipper. This means a baby will not form. I know this site is read a lot by people surfing the internet for answers, so I don’t want someone to get the impression they can try mating these two together and get offspring from them.

That being said, if you have more questions along the way please ask! Someone on here is bound to know the answer!:frow

You can try hatching them. But mating the hen courld kill her. Drakes have penis and Roos don’t so it would harm the hens. My drakes try mating with my hens sometimes but my hens don’t take crap so like they always attack my drakes :lau View attachment 1555563 View attachment 1555564 here are what it could look like
That duck has had the webs cut away to give the impression of chicken feet.

Back
Top Bottom