1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chukar partridge not common as pets?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by animals1981, Oct 4, 2010.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    does anyone know why they arent kept much as pets they are so beautiful? they are not even used as display birds? why

also why is there no info on their temperment and what they can mis with?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Most likely because they are wild birds, and as such are flighty and not as "personable" as perhaps the Coturnix quail. I raise them, and they are flighty like pheasants and bobwhites. I have them in a pen with pheasants and turkeys, and they do quite well together. They're just not really "pet" material. [​IMG] I agree, they are beautiful birds, however, and I love listening to their bubbly sounds in the brooder. [​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I have a pet chukar! He's actually quite friendly. [​IMG] Here's a little thread of information about him: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402402

I
    really enjoy my little guy, he behaves more or less like a chicken and lives with the chickens. He makes great noises, he's beautiful, and he allows me to handle him and walks right nearby me when I'm in the coop. I don't know if he's a typical case, but it is possible that when they're raised with frequent handling some would make decent pets, as he is fairly tame. As opposed to ring-necked pheasants, my pheasants never tamed down and I eventually released them.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  4. Tony O

Tony O Chillin' With My Peeps

They can be hand raised like baby chicks and become very tame. [​IMG] Mine would come to me and eat out of my hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by