Chunks missing from foot? Or something else?

Cmkraemer

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
Hello,

I have searched forums and the internet and cannot find an answer. The bottom of her foot is normal, its just on top and its both feet on the outside toe. My other goose, whos with her 24/7, is perfectly fine. Please help.

Attachments

• 20201024_112025.jpg
    20201024_112025.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201024_112019.jpg
    20201024_112019.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201024_111927.jpg
    20201024_111927.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 14
It looks like something was biting her, could predators be getting into where they sleep at night? Also have you seen rats? Rats can do freaky horrible things.

My first thought was predator.
Maybe something in the water if not in the coop. I know snapping turtles will make holes in the webbing. Any chance you have a small snapping turtle?

Omg, really??? I have seen mice in the grass. Just once. We live in a desert sagebrush type area w some grasses. They like to sleep in the run, but I have been wanting to lock them in their goose house bc of bigger predators. Even tho our run is big predator proof. Rats could def still get in the run. No turtles in our irrigation ditch. I've only seen bull snakes. I feel awful. Poor baby. How would you guys treat it?

Another possibility I thought of is that the other goose did that to her, I had two ganders get into a fight once and one grabbed the other by the foot, the injury was nothing as bad as that but I can’t think of any more explanations.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what would cause that. Golly, my American Buff gander Sliced the outside of his foot doing heaven knows what, but it healed up just fine. I changed their pools daily - 2x daily while it was sore and bothering him. He's a sweet boy, so I could check it whenever I wanted to see how it was doing. I'd keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get infected playing in nasty ditch water.

Back
Top Bottom