Chunky, smelly, yellow substance obstructing nostril

Eggcessive, I have read many threads on BYC, and it sounds like you know your stuff. Thank you bunches! I took the sample of the stinky cheese stuff to my equine vet, because I had to go anyway. Vet didn't look at it under microscope, but just said to treat it like canker. I am still wanting to take a sample to someone who can look under a microscope and tell me for sure what I am dealing with. I will also get pics; the ones I took yesterday are too blurry. In the meantime I went on the site which you recommended to buy Fish Zole, and was blown away by the options. What size do I buy? Is it powder or liquid?

I would like to ask you another question, I have a 1 year old Spitzerhauben hen who has always been healthy. She is in a seperate coop from my old silkie, but they do free range together. Today my son noticed that her eye was swollen;/ and she had green watery diarreah. We caught her and discovered that she has a few small sores around her eyes- thought she might have been pecked- one eye is noticeably more swollen with a little puss bubble; both eyes are runny, and her feathers are coming out like crazy. I have several molting, so I don't know if that is related. I went through postings on BYC. This is what we did.... Isolated her with her Layena, water with Sulfademathoxine, put a heat lamp in as it is cold here, and gave her some boiled egg. She doesn't feel good and didnt seem interested in eating. Do you have any thoughts on things I should be doing or not doing? Is there anything I can safely put in her little runny eyes?

UPDATE: My sweet Frances is still alive, and is actually outside happily pecking around with her family today. After over 3 months of battling with the yellow stuff in her nostril, I used Tylan 50 injectable orally for 5 days. I gave her .15 cc because she is a silkie, but the dosage for larger chickens is greater. The substance dried up and when I tried to remove some of it, the entire plug just fell out. She still had labored breathing with gurgling sounds. She didn't want to eat, and after a couple of days, she got so weak that she could barely keep her balance. I brought her into
the house and gave her probiotics and vitamins in her water, along with special treats. She was not interested in any of it, and after a couple of days, I was pretty sure we were going to lose her. I decided to try vetRX. I warmed it and administered two drops in her mouth at night, and used a cotton ball to rub it on her head and face. I don't know how to describe it other than a miracle, but right after her dosage, she would perk up and eat.
Her breathing is not 100% yet, and she is very old, but she is happy and here with us now. :) I hope that my experience can help someone out there.

Back
Top Bottom