Cichlid thread

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by incubatingisfun, Dec 27, 2010.

1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    This thread is for keepers of cichlids to post pictures and discuss cichlids [​IMG].I have a threeyear old oscar.I will try to get pics later.Have fun [​IMG]!

2. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    He is in a 55 gallon tank

3. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    oh an oscar, i love them! my brother had a few of them. i had convicts that were fun, a little shy but fun. our cat tried to get my brothers oscar's one day, they ended up taking the cat for a nice swim [​IMG]

4. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    hahaha i bet the cat loved the swim [​IMG].yeah oscars are cool my oscar is going crazy tight now trying to catch some guppies but they are to fast

5. the-bird-man

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    one day my brother put a small oscar in his feeder fish tank thinking the feeders who were over half the oscar's size would be okay, well he walked in the room to find most of a feeder fish hanging out of the oscar's mouth. they are like little puppy dogs [​IMG] if i had the time and space i would get some

6. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    yeah oscars are greedy and anything that can fit in there mouth is a goner.yeah they do take a lot of time and space but they are so cool and fun im going to the pet store tommoro to pick up some tank mates for him

7. the-bird-man

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    what kind of tank mates are you thinking?

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    As an old reformed Cichlid person--American Cichlid Association fellow--who used to keep a 10-inch Oscar in a 50 gallon aquarium I'll tell you the best companion is a big, armored catfish. I kept a 10 inch pleco in with mine.

9. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    okay thanks [​IMG] im off to the pet store

10. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:The problem with an Oscar and a large pleco is they are both messy, IMO.
    Joe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by