Cindi's Chicken Chronicles

Chickadee, the Super Mama Hen!

I was filming Chickadee & her chicks in the backyard this morning, because the little ones just recently learned to fly up onto the chicknic table. Unbeknownst to me, one of the neighborhood cats started to approach Chickadee and she immediately chased the cat out of the yard. It all happened so fast and I'm surprised that I caught it on camera. Chickadee may be tiny, but she is such a fierce and protective mama hen! She never fails to amaze me!

Custom Painting of Chickadee

A couple of months ago, I commissioned a custom painting of Chickadee from an artist in Australia! Yesterday, I received the painting and I am blown away by how beautiful it turned out! 😍

Isn't it beautiful? I love all the little details!
CE7DBAC6-1CD7-491F-B130-056CA1A28E6D.jpeg

Here's Chickadee's first impressions of her very own custom painting!
tempImage3bdPek.png tempImage5H0LZz.png

An Unlikely Pair

Meet Zoom, she is one of Rosie's chicks and decided to "leave the nest" on May 15th at just under 6 weeks old. I named her Zoom because of her run- she is a little speed racer and is always running around my backyard in full speed!

tempImageEIWj40.png

I was a little worried about Zoom when I realized that she had "left the nest" since she is so tiny in comparison to the other chickens in my yard, but then I noticed that Pepper, a 10 month old rooster, had adopted Zoom and taken her under his wing! I've spotted them together these last few days and I feel a lot better knowing that Zoom isn't alone! Pepper is such a sweet rooster and never bullies any of the younger chickens! I'm glad that he and Zoom have bonded and formed a friendship with each other! I don't know how long this will last, but it puts a smile on my face every time I see the two of them together in my yard!
tempImageJy6wN8.png
tempImageet1jUZ.png
tempImagek7zJA7.png

Last edited:
An Unlikely Pair

Meet Zoom, she is one of Rosie's chicks and decided to "leave the nest" on May 15th at just under 6 weeks old. I named her Zoom because of her run- she is a little speed racer and is always running around my backyard in full speed!

View attachment 2679129

I was a little worried about Zoom when I realized that she had "left the nest" since she is so tiny in comparison to the other chickens in my yard, but then I noticed that Pepper, a 10 month old rooster, had adopted Zoom and taken her under his wing! I've spotted them together these last few days and I feel a lot better knowing that Zoom isn't alone! Pepper is such a sweet rooster and never bullies any of the younger chickens! I'm glad that he and Zoom have bonded and formed a friendship with each other! I don't know how long this will last, but it puts a smile on my face every time I see the two of them together in my yard!
View attachment 2679124
View attachment 2679130
View attachment 2679131
These two look so cute! I’m glad that everything worked out with Zoom! :):)

Abandoned Chick

Yesterday afternoon I could hear a baby chick cheeping right outside of my bedroom window. I didn't think too much of it at the time because there's a few sets of mama hen's that live in my backyard. A few hours later, I was in the backyard feeding Chickadee & her little ones, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a lone baby chick near my vegetable garden. After I caught her, I gave her some food & water, which she happily ate & drank. She looks to be about a few days old and some of her wing feathers are starting to come in. I put together a makeshift brooder for her yesterday and I am happy to report that she did very well through the night. She woke up around 6 AM this morning and is now enjoying some morning snuggles 💕
tempImageoKt77T.png
tempImageCzx1vN.png

Last edited:
Abandoned Chick

Yesterday afternoon I could hear a baby chick cheeping right outside of my bedroom window. I didn't think too much of it at the time because there's a few sets of mama hen's that live in my backyard. A few hours later, I was in the backyard feeding Chickadee & her little ones, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a lone baby chick near my vegetable garden. After I caught her, I gave her some food & water, which she happily ate & drank. She looks to be about a few days old and some of her wing feathers are starting to come in. I put together a makeshift brooder for her yesterday and I am happy to report that she did very well through the night. She woke up around 6 AM this morning and is now enjoying some morning snuggles 💕
View attachment 2684390
View attachment 2685487
ADORABLE!!!!! 🥰 🥰 🥰
Yeah, looks to be around 3-6 days old. :):)

Hey I just wanted to drop by say that what you are such an amazing person and what you do for Chickadee and her children is incredible:hitJust reading through this thread made me made me super happy, and I am sure your little ones are just as happy and grateful to have you as their guardian as you are! You said Chickadee and her boyfriend are both fierce and protective, I bet if they saw you get into trouble they would protect you as one of theirs as well. I aspire to be someone like you some day. Sending lots of love from a fellow chicken owner 🥰

Hey I just wanted to drop by say that what you are such an amazing person and what you do for Chickadee and her children is incredible:hitJust reading through this thread made me made me super happy, and I am sure your little ones are just as happy and grateful to have you as their guardian as you are! You said Chickadee and her boyfriend are both fierce and protective, I bet if they saw you get into trouble they would protect you as one of theirs as well. I aspire to be someone like you some day. Sending lots of love from a fellow chicken owner 🥰
Awww, thank you so much for your kind words 🥰 Chickadee and the rest of the chickens bring me so much joy... life wouldn't be the same without them! 💕

An Update: Meet Kiko

Two weeks ago, I found an abandoned baby chick in my backyard. I took her in and she's been a "house chicken" ever since. I decided to name her Kiko, which means "hope".

Kiko is such a sweetheart - she loves being held & cuddled! She follows me around the house and will start cheeping loudly if I'm not within view. She can be such a sassy pants whenever it is time for her to go back into her brooder. If Kiko had her way, she'd be sleeping in my bed with me 😂

Kiko has just started learning to fly and has been showing off her flying skills by flying up onto my lap and my shoulder these past few days!

This is my first time hand raising a baby chick without the help of a mama hen. So far it's been going well, but I know that this is just the beginning! I look forward to sharing more updates in the future 💕

tempImageBVLCtP.png

Back
Top Bottom