Cinnamon queen cockerel or pullet?

jabou29

Songster
Jan 1, 2022
Hi, I just got chicks and got me a cinnamon queen but the breeder was unsure whether it’s a pullet or a cockerel due to it growing it’s tail feathers super fast. It didn’t have stripes on its back but now it has developed stripes. I believe it might be a pullet but it’s probably too soon to tell. I thought they where sex linked at birth though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 15
That isn't a Cinnamon Queen. Not experienced enough here to know what breed it is, but its also to young to tell what gender it is.
There’s not a huge possibility of it being a different breed. The lady is a local and only has 2 breeds which are Cinnamon queen and Wyandotte. The Wyandotte’s she sells are golden laced as well. The roo she has that is cinnamon queen is almost white with brown on him. I did Google how a cinnamon roo supposed to look after reading your reply and it does look like a CQ. Her hens are as well. She does have hens that are lighter on the back tail area side though. I’m unsure if it could be genetics though as to create a CQ you have to breed a red and white Rhode Island.

It's likely a mixed breed unless she is breeding specifically for CQs. The red with white towards the back sounds like a RSL. Which is a mixed breed itself.

Post pics at 6 weeks, showing comb and wattles.

It's likely a mixed breed unless she is breeding specifically for CQs. The red with white towards the back sounds like a RSL. Which is a mixed breed itself.

Post pics at 6 weeks, showing comb and wattles
Will do, and yeah she is specifically breeding for CQ’s but maybe the hen who laid its egg could be an RSL but all her hens looks lightish red like a CQ and not like a RSL. So I’ll see how it turns out.

Will do, and yeah she is specifically breeding for CQ’s but maybe the hen who laid its egg could be an RSL but all her hens looks lightish red like a CQ and not like a RSL. So I’ll see how it turns out.

CQs don't breed true. Using a CQ rooster over CQ hens isn't going to produce CQs. They are a mix and, unless you create that exactly mix (breeding specifically for CQ), they won't be sexable at hatch.

I agree with the post above. You can't breed for CQ's like normal breeds.

A CQ is just another flavor variety of a red sex link...but ONLY for the first generation. It *should* be a red based rooster over a silver (white looking) hen. The first generation offspring will produce red fawn down female chicks while the mother's silver gene follows the boys and produces yellow down male chicks who become white males with red on shoulders/wings.

She may be breeding a CQ to a CQ, but you won't be able to sex them at all. They will be 50% yellow down male/female or 50% red down male/female.

And since they were a hybrid to begin with, a hybrid to a hybrid produces simply a barnyard mix hybrid.

That doesn't mean these aren't fun chickens and won't lay eggs. I like barnyard mixes for hybrid vigor.

But it does mean that coloring on the chick is meaningless as is wing/tail feather growth (that too is another sexing trick to breed a fast feathered line to a slow feathered line, which you don't have). You will have to wait to see if it develops a large red comber faster than the others.

Sorry.
LofMc

I agree with the post above. You can't breed for CQ's like normal breeds.

A CQ is just another flavor variety of a red sex link...but ONLY for the first generation. It *should* be a red based rooster over a silver (white looking) hen. The first generation offspring will produce red fawn down female chicks while the mother's silver gene follows the boys and produces yellow down male chicks who become white males with red on shoulders/wings.

She may be breeding a CQ to a CQ, but you won't be able to sex them at all. They will be 50% yellow down male/female or 50% red down male/female.

And since they were a hybrid to begin with, a hybrid to a hybrid produces simply a barnyard mix hybrid.

That doesn't mean these aren't fun chickens and won't lay eggs. I like barnyard mixes for hybrid vigor.

But it does mean that coloring on the chick is meaningless as is wing/tail feather growth (that too is another sexing trick to breed a fast feathered line to a slow feathered line, which you don't have). You will have to wait to see if it develops a large red comber faster than the others.

Sorry.
LofMc
This was the politest way I’ve ever heard someone tell somebody they have a mutt When they thought they had something special. Well done LOL

This was the politest way I’ve ever heard someone tell somebody they have a mutt When they thought they had something special. Well done LOL
I didn’t believe I had something special. I was just basing it off what the breeder told me. smh.

Back
Top Bottom