Cinnamon Queen gasping

That is strange that her gasping comes and goes. It looks pretty serious when she is doing that. It’s also at like something is stuck in her airway. Does she ever cough or sneeze? Did she do this before you used the Sweet PDZ? I used that in my coop for about 2 years without any issues. Be sure to continue worming her with the SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days, since that is the dosage for gapeworms.
The closest thing I have seen to coughing or sneezing, is that little head jerk you can see in the beginning of the video I posted earlier, "Lucy Before Bed". I used the flashlight on my phone, and put in on the outside of her throat. I looked down her throat while she was gasping, I didn't see anything abnormal.

Yes, this started before I started using Sweet PDZ.

I did the full dosage of the Safe-Guard on her already. It didn't make any difference.

I kept my girls in the coop for most of today. The weatherman was calling for freezing rain and snow. And my run is uncovered.

Lucy looked pretty bad this morning. It took her a while to snap out her gasping. But when she did, she walked over to the waterer and drank. And she even pecked at one of her sisters to get to the feeders, and ate. After that, I noticed that she walked over to the mini coop I keep inside of the big coop. A few of the girls use it as a nesting box. And she kept looking inside of it, like she wanted to lay. But she didn't.

It seems like no one has any ideas on here, what could be wrong with her. And I noticed that posts get buried under other posts pretty quickly in this forum. So this will be my last post for this issue, unless someone has an idea. I will just keep an eye on her, and if she gets too bad, I will have no other choice but to cull her. Thank you and God bless.

I'm sorry to hear she's still struggling and getting worse.

We certainly aren't vets here.
If you lose her and want to find out more, then sending the body to your state lab will likely give you the most information.

I agree, threads sometimes do get buried, those of us who volunteer and take the time to try to answer questions get swamped with alerts, tags, pm's and threads to follow up on and to try to catch new threads waiting to be addressed a well.

The only thing I can suggest is try an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if it makes a difference.
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=99e84da41&_ss=r

I'm sorry to hear she's still struggling and getting worse.

We certainly aren't vets here.
If you lose her and want to find out more, then sending the body to your state lab will likely give you the most information.

I agree, threads sometimes do get buried, those of us who volunteer and take the time to try to answer questions get swamped with alerts, tags, pm's and threads to follow up on and to try to catch new threads waiting to be addressed a well.

The only thing I can suggest is try an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if it makes a difference.
Oh, I understand. I wasn't criticizing, I just came to the conclusion, that no one on here saw this before. Thank you to everyone who responded. I will look into Tylosin. God bless.

I have a 7 month old Cinnamon Queen hen, named Lucy, that has been gasping for air for going on 2 weeks now. What is strange, is it is not all the time. She will sit under the coop for a while, just gasping and wheezing. Her comb and wattles start to turn purple. But then she will just snap out of it, and start walking around scratching, eating, drinking, and even chasing off the younger hens. Her comb and wattles will turn a nice bright red again. Then later, she'll go back to stretching out her neck and gasping and wheezing again.

I have 11 hens in total, none of the other hens have any symptoms of any illness. Lucy also has no other symptoms. No discharge from sinuses, no swelling of the face, no watery eyes, no "external" blood, no signs of mites, no visible injuries, and no visible blood or worms in stool.

I have treated the entire flock's water with TiaGard for a week. No change. I have dewormed Lucy alone with Safe-Guard. No change. I tried using VetRx on Lucy for about a week. No change. I treated the entire flock's water with FlockLeader Recover 911 (electrolytes, probiotics, prebiotics, and oregano). No change. I tried segregating her, but when she snaps out of her gasping, she gets rowdy and I worried about her hurting herself.

I really have no idea what is wrong with her. My hens all have a 10'x18' coop and a 20'x30' run. They are not free range. I have also changed their feed, to no resolve.

But like I said, she eats and drinks, albeit not as much as she should. She has lost some weight. But I check her every night, and she always has some food in her crop. And she poops, albeit small ones.

Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to cover as many of my bases as possible. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. The other girls haven't been too aggressive with her yet, but I'm worried that I'll go out to the coop one day, a see a pecked to death chicken. Thank you.
Hi, from the uk, I've been watching and reading this site for some time now, and find it very helpful I must say.

We have encountered the very same problem, but....BUT it has been found that supplying the srperated chickens home made electrolite appears to be the way forward.

I found the recipe online (afraid I forget exactly where) but it involved mixing, molasses x2 tsp, baking soda x1/2 tsp, salt (rock salt) x1/2 tsp, and hot water in a mug then mix, be aware it will fizz up!! THEN....
..... however....
I also add my own herbal tea mix to it, sage rosmary and oregano in equal measures x1 good pinch of each in a tea mug then hot water added covered and left to steep for 10 minutes then added to the molasses mix....

Allow to cool and store both mixed in a jar, and give to the birds via drinking water, either pure or diluted at a minimum 25:100 or average 50:50 mix or try full strength....if they will drink it by all means....and dependant on condition....I usually go 50%....

I'll advise if it's to work it will take a few days so be patient...

If it's working you should gradually see symptoms disipate each day....I'm presently doing this....so I'm guessing 1 to two weeks as a time period!!!

I'm no expert, or scientist, but I have tried and tested some these home herbal remedies, and I know corporate vets will only say theres no evidence to prove it works, without providing evidence it doesnt either

Hi, from the uk, I've been watching and reading this site for some time now, and find it very helpful I must say.

We have encountered the very same problem, but....BUT it has been found that supplying the srperated chickens home made electrolite appears to be the way forward.

I found the recipe online (afraid I forget exactly where) but it involved mixing, molasses x2 tsp, baking soda x1/2 tsp, salt (rock salt) x1/2 tsp, and hot water in a mug then mix, be aware it will fizz up!! THEN....
..... however....
I also add my own herbal tea mix to it, sage rosmary and oregano in equal measures x1 good pinch of each in a tea mug then hot water added covered and left to steep for 10 minutes then added to the molasses mix....

Allow to cool and store both mixed in a jar, and give to the birds via drinking water, either pure or diluted at a minimum 25:100 or average 50:50 mix or try full strength....if they will drink it by all means....and dependant on condition....I usually go 50%....

I'll advise if it's to work it will take a few days so be patient...

If it's working you should gradually see symptoms disipate each day....I'm presently doing this....so I'm guessing 1 to two weeks as a time period!!!

I'm no expert, or scientist, but I have tried and tested some these home herbal remedies, and I know corporate vets will only say theres no evidence to prove it works, without providing evidence it doesnt either
P.s bear in mind that chickens are "hardfaced" against illness, you often dont realise a problem till the symptoms show....so reaction time is a must....I.e. dont do nothing at all!

Oh, I understand. I wasn't criticizing, I just came to the conclusion, that no one on here saw this before. Thank you to everyone who responded. I will look into Tylosin. God bless.
I have a chicken that was gasping which looked more like yawning, she didn't make any noise. I always notice that one side of her crop fills. What I did was assume she had over filled it or something was stuck in her throat, so I just got her and simultaneously put a small amount of pressure on both sides of her throat while pushing down. After about three times she stopped and hasn't done it again.

Back
Top Bottom