Cinnamon Queen... or King?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by just one of the peeps, Jul 23, 2011.

1. just one of the peeps

just one of the peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    st.louis
    My daughter picked out this chick that she found wandering free last time we were getting hens. We were under the impression that this was a cinnamon queen. This morning there was a distinct "cock-a-doodle-doo" and when i went to look on them the "Queen" was on the roost crowing like a roo! If I'm not mistaken hens do NOT "cock-a-doodle-doo". I read that the roosters are supposed to be more white on these sex links but i don't know if thats true. So the question is... is our 4 month old queen a king? Here are some pics of our crowing culprit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    That's a rooster. Might be a 2nd generation red sexlink. If you breed a red sexlink male to a red sexlink female, you can get males with female coloring and vice versa. Sex linking only works on the first generation. So you have to know where the chicks came from to make sure the parents were pure bred.

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Looks like a Roo to me

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I always thought that a roo cimm. queen was all white. I ordered some of them a few years ago. I was told that the girls were red with white "undercoat" and the boys were all white. I had 3 boys and 20 girls. All of them followed this rule.
    Interesting.[​IMG]

Mama24...sooo true.

Does look like a Roo.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Well, that tells the story. Not a first generation red sex link. Handsome enough young buckeroo though.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  8. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    It a rooster So King [​IMG]

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The intensity of the red over the shoulders/wing bows, pointy hackle feathers, and pointy saddle feathers that are starting to come in combined with the large red comb and crowing all say roo. As others have said, sex link coloration only works on the first generation. He might have been hatched out by a hen who is a sex link but he isn't a sex link. He is a handsome boy though.

10. just one of the peeps

just one of the peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    st.louis
    Thank you for the info and help. Unfortunately we are not going to be able to keep HIM. Our towns ordinances do not allow for roos.
    Also, ever since he found his cock-a-doodle-doo he has gotten lovingly aggressive with our tiny bantam. I wouldn't want a young rooster to have a crush on me... feathers everywhere!
    It's a bit sad to have to get rid of him though, we have been getting some good laughs out of those morning crows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by