Citrone Sebright Genetics Question

CitronSebrPr.JPEG

This is citron; there are both citron hens and roosters. Are we thinking two different colours, maybe?

OH I love that rooster!!!! Yup that's definitely the colour.. but I've never seen the citrone rooster!! Now I DEFINITELY need to get this project working. I need a whole flock of these LOL.

Sadly .. sebrights are not the most common bird here and the few people that have them have reported difficulties rearing the chicks so it's not easy to get reliable birds. A lot of the ones I've seen available lately, I strongly suggest to be barnyard hybrids.

I still have a very nice unrelated silver sebright and the three babies from my citrone (two males and one pullet), so I'll do a little test breeding with them to see what happens.

And in the meantime I'll keep trying to put my hand on a quality gold hen or two :)
I was reading a lot of stuff doing research for this (I really should be sleeping) but I understand that Sebrights have fertility problems in the males, and the chicks are very susceptible to Marek's. So yeah, I'm guessing barnyard hybrids as well. Yesterday, someone tried to sell me OEGB hens with yellow legs. He said he raised show chickens. I (I think it was pretty gently) called him on it. He wasn't graceful about it.

EDT: yellow skin is not acceptable in silver duckwing hens. They're supposed to be white. Sometimes blue.

I would have taken the hens; I don't put much stock in purebreds, but I don't like being lied to by idiots.

Good luck in your endeavours.

EDT: edited because apparently I'm going senile.

Last edited:
I was reading a lot of stuff doing research for this (I really should be sleeping) but I understand that Sebrights have fertility problems in the males, and the chicks are very susceptible to Marek's. So yeah, I'm guessing barnyard hybrids as well. Yesterday, someone tried to sell me OEGB hens with yellow legs. He said he raised show chickens. I (I think it was pretty gently) called him on it. He wasn't graceful about it.

EDT: yellow skin is not acceptable in silver duckwing hens. They're supposed to be white. Sometimes blue.

I would have taken the hens; I don't put much stock in purebreds, but I don't like being lied to by idiots.

Good luck in your endeavours.

EDT: edited because apparently I'm going senile.

Thank you Sylvie VERY MUCH for the time and the help.. believe me it is MOST appreciated :) Sadly your story sounds familiar here too.. though I would say mostly here it is more people who don't actually "know" what they have rather than deliberately being misleading. I've resolved to do a lot more reading myself (I should be working now hehe) and will see how my young chicks go in my new project :p Have a lovely night!

Good Day Sylvie!

Further to our chat last night, I've done a little more research today and I can see how we each had different starting positions.

It appears that a male bird bred from one gold and one silver parent can give a gold or silver (with gold leakage) male bird. And people do use method to achieve a gold (of sorts) rooster.

But then I also read more regarding the ig gene you referred (and the related ones cb and Di) and I agree with you that genetically speaking these are the more "correct" way to achieve a Citron / Lemon / Cream bird.

So I'm very much hoping my Citron hen was ig/ig and that her chicks now carry it. If this is the case then if I breed her son and daughter together I should have a "theoretical" 25% chance of getting a visual cream chick.

You recall I mentioned her rooster chicks starting to show the odd "coloured feather" I have a picture of one of the feathers! The gold colour is very neatly defined on one half of the feather and not the other.

Romeo Feather001.JPG
Romeo Feather002.JPG

Last edited:
That is weird.
This season.. I've had nothing BUT weird LOL. I have a suspicion that after their first moult I'll see more such feathers. If mom was gold with ig then this chick should be S/S+ with ig/ig+ so I'd expect to see a Silver bird with Cream leakage?

Edit: And he will have received a birchen base gene from mom and half of all the lace/pattern genes - which will account for the dark base and dirty lacing.

Back
Top Bottom