City Issued a Citation and claims we aren’t allowed to have chickens due to neighbor’s complaint. What are my options?

Move the coop away from the neighbors would, I think, lessen the immediate issue. Then get the rats under control.
Moving is going to be difficult but the best first step imo. Underground netting a few feet around the run will be difficult to remove and moving the huge coop will be a big project but i’m willing to do it if the city agrees to let us keep the hens.

Don't leave poison in the open. Use a bait box and chunx bait. You should have been doing this from the beginning.

Immediately implementing a protocol to eliminate rats on your property, two to three tamper proof bait boxes, will go a long way in your plight. It shows the authorities you are a responsible livestock owner and plan to never be in a position where others can claim you are the reason for rodents in the future. Calling an exterminator after complaints arise is not showing anything.

Don't leave poison in the open. Use a bait box and chunx bait. You should have been doing this from the beginning.

Immediately implementing a protocol to eliminate rats on your property, two to three tamper proof bait boxes, will go a long way in your plight. It shows the authorities you are a responsible livestock owner and plan to never be in a position where others can claim you are the reason for rodents in the future. Calling an exterminator after complaints arise is not showing anything.
This ! Show that you are the solution - not the problem.

This ! Show that you are the solution - not the problem.
I have some set up ever since the rats appeared last year. We’ve been catching them a little at a time.
I suppose I could set up some more to make it clear that we are trying to get rid of the rats as best we can.

We live sort of near a river, rats live near rivers so maybe that will help in defending the possibility that these rats aren’t here because of the chickens..
I live on a River. If ever I saw a rat in my coop I would not blame the River, it's my bad. It's close to impossible for some people but if you're determined to do it and do it right, start with a forum search on "Rats" and find the many threads where Al Gerhart posts Howard E.'s article about how to truly get rid of them. It's a long read but outlines the 3 necessary steps: Sanitation, exclusion, elimination. I added a 4th, "Control." Meaning, implement a control so that it doesn't happen again. My Control is Feral Cats. When you're successful Rats will not be in your coop whether they live in the woods or river bank or whatever, they don't have a reason too. I would also know the City ordinances in and out. It's not really a debate with a Neighbor when the ruling is covered by the ordinance. Good Luck! My property had a rat issue when I bought it but I won, they're gone~ !!

Rat x is a poison that has no effect on anything that's not a rodent.
This ☝️ I couldn't remember the brand but I knew there was one. It's pricey compared but if you're worried it's the way to go.
IMO poison is the only way to get ahead of them when they get to the point of being a problem.
Move your coop. Poison your rats and hire the exterminator for your neighbor. If all that doesn't show her you're taking responsibility and doing everything possible nothing will and then you're screwed.

Back
Top Bottom