1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

**CL Rooster!!**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tripp16, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok everyone! Someone referred me a while back to sell my roosters on CL. Well I posted a ad on there selling my two bantam Cockerels. (Beautiful boys) pictures included on the ad. Left it up for a week! Nobody!!

I decide to just give up and post free Roosters! To good home only! Within a hour literally an hour, I had a email asking about one of them!! Im sad but happy at the same time!

Anyone else going through this?? Or have went through this??

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I've gotten some amazing deal on there. My problem is just the opposite. Somebody selling and don't get back in touch with me. I guess it works both ways. My coops ready for hens and this fellow had what I was looking for. Maybe I'll try again.

3. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    I've had the same experience with Craig's List. They go quickly when listed as "free." I have had no luck selling any of the boys.

4. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    Really? I have 10 roosters of different ages i've had up for "free" for a month, nothing!!!!! not one person interested. some are even purebred D'Uccle cockerels too...

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I hardly even bother putting them up for sale here, even free its pretty much impossible to get rid of them.

6. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    I had listed 4 EE roosters on CL, at first I tried selling them, no takers. Then I had them as FREE still nothing. I was getting a little desperate since my roo to hen ratio was too high. I even considered putting a sign near our road for them, even if the odds are that they were going to end up in a pot. I can't personally do that to my birds nor do I want to know that is where their going but I figured if that is going to put food on a family's table that are in need , so be it.

My neighbor was going to a flea market type sale and offered to take them, he sold all 4 for $10 to someone who seemed very excited. I let him keep the money since he took them.

It definately is a crap shoot, sometimes I can sell them on CL and other times not a nibble.

Maybe try listing on BYC in the auction section, you can put them as free if you want. Maybe someone near you is on here or someone may be willing to drive if you've got what they want.

Good Luck!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I couldn't believe it either! I woke up this morning and fond another email!! [​IMG]

8. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I didn't have much problem giving one of mine away to a lady who wanted him for her hens. I just hope he behaves himself and doesn't end up in the pot.

9. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I told myself I would start culling roosters as soon as I knew what they were rather than continue to feed them but it sure is easier said than done.[​IMG]

10. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I've had a similar experience. There's a lady who sells all sorts of fowl.....turkeys, guineas, etc. Well, I gave her my silkie mix roosters and she sold them for $30...she insisted on giving me half. She said the one named "Elvis" sold first just because the customer like its name!!! The other two took a few more weeks. I told her we should name them Rod Stewart and Santana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by