CL

Two people asked me to email them some information on how to control CL. I told them I had to send it by snail mail because the paper I had written was on a computer with no internet access. Evidently they were uncomfortable sending me their snail mail because I never heard back from them. However, I do have a condensed form of the paper that has all the relevant information on it that I can email because it is on this computer. I forgot I had it. If they will get back to me I can send it to them after all.
Hi Cassie,
Could you please send me whatever you have on CL. I have one goat with it and I'm concerned the chickens, who I can't keep out, will get it or spread it. I have tried formalin with limited success. Any help appreciated.
[email protected] or Pam Sloan PO Box 144 Damascus PA 18415
Thanks very much.

You kindly sent this paper to me last year via snail mail. It was a wonderful thoughtful read, and very encouraging.

I'd recommend anyone who has goats take Cassie up on the offer... especially if its via email and won't cost her postage.

Hi Cassie,
Could you please send me whatever you have on CL. I have one goat with it and I'm concerned the chickens, who I can't keep out, will get it or spread it. I have tried formalin with limited success. Any help appreciated.
[email protected] or Pam Sloan PO Box 144 Damascus PA 18415
Thanks very much.
I will be glad to send you the paper but it will be a day or two. The original paper was on my old computer and I never got it transferred to my new one. This means I am having to rewrite it. I am working on it but I get sidetracked. I have it more than half finished though. Will work on it tonight and hopefully get it finished and out to you. BTW chickens do not get CL. It is found in goats and sheep. Under certain circumstances humans can contract it. This has been seen in people who deal with infected hides and have cuts on their hands. Just so you know, neither I nor anyone I know ever got CL in spite of the fact that we regularly cleaned abscesses without wearing gloves. It never occurred to us to do so then.

I am curious as to why you said you had limited success with formalin. I read about it in a sheep magazine years ago and I used it for a while. But even though it worked out well for me, I do not recommend it. Would like to hear about your experiences with it. My email addy, should you want it, is [email protected]

Cassie

I will try to unconfuse you. Two people asked me to email them some information I had that they thought would be helpful. I could not email it to them at that time but I can now. Assuming, that is, I knew where to send it. I lost their names so I cannot contact them directly. I made this post hoping they would see it and get back to me. Since I don't know who they are this is the only way I could think of to reach them. Got it?
Hi cassie, Thank you for the reply. I've always thought chickens could not get CL but recently read they could. My main concern is them tracking the bacteria to another goat pen that is clean. They are free range and can move about as they choose. I tried formalin on my goat who had an abscess on each side of her jaw. I had trouble getting at all of the lump and so had to try more than once even though I used the wiper motion. It was disappointing and I had to drain them when part of the lump didn't dry up. Poor goat.

Hi cassie, Thank you for the reply. I've always thought chickens could not get CL but recently read they could. My main concern is them tracking the bacteria to another goat pen that is clean. They are free range and can move about as they choose. I tried formalin on my goat who had an abscess on each side of her jaw. I had trouble getting at all of the lump and so had to try more than once even though I used the wiper motion. It was disappointing and I had to drain them when part of the lump didn't dry up. Poor goat.
CL is spread primarily by pus from a draining abscess. That is why it is essential that no abscesses ever be allowed to rupture out in the barns or corrals. I will send you detailed instructions on how to take care of them so that doesn't happen. Maybe I can send it out to you tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom