Clack, Clack, Clack!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by d.k, Mar 12, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Anybody know what constant beak clacking could mean? Chook started doing it about 3 days ago. Squawk! Clack, Clack, Clack, Clack!! OVER & OVER! Like she's aggitated or something. Seems fine otherwise--- ??

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Perhaps she's calling out to other chickens? You only have the one? Maybe she's lonely? I'd just watch her, she could be trying to tell you something.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*thanks, LC-- yes, I only have Chook; Like a hen with one chick, I'm always fretting when she seems the least out of sorts. Looking at her closely, I think she needs her beak trimmed & that's why she's clacking it. I've done toenails on birds b/f-- but never trimmed a beak. Does anybody have any experience or pointers for me???

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Please get her a friend, I bet she's lonely

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Beak trimming/burning is cruel. She will be deformed forever. It won't grow back. she will never again be able to eat normally. Please do NOT do this. Get her a friend. Chickens are very social creatures -hence the living in a flock. She needs a chicken friend to spend time with.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*HOLD UP!! I'm NOT Talking about de-beaking Miss Chook at all!! Only that her beak is a little long at the TIP and looks like its starting to curl!! GADS!! I'd never de-beak her, for crying out loud!! Actually, I looked again-- holding her and her upper beak IS curling down at the tip, nearly a 1/4inch. There's very little in the yard that serves for her to 'file' her beak on. It's all soft sand and soft plants. There are a couple stepping stones, but even they're pretty smooth. I've seen her trying to rub her beak on stuff but never thought too much about it until the clacking started all the time.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Wow!!-- For the first time, I'm REALLY kinda . . . . [​IMG] [​IMG] (sigh) What-ever. ANYBODY ELSE??????? THINK I'LL MAIM, MANGLE or KILL MY chicken if I use an **EMORY BOARD** a little bit????

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Can you post a pic of it?

I would say she is lonely also......

9. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I have use an emory board on my bantys beak before withno harm done. I just even it out and stay away from the quick. Hers always grow to long and she dosn't wear it down. Go for it just go easy! [​IMG]

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Can't take a pic tonight-- she's asleep, but I might have one that shows the beak curve a little bit. Let me look at my photos and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by