Clack, Clack, Clack!!

d.k

red-headed stepchild
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast Coast of Florida
*Anybody know what constant beak clacking could mean? Chook started doing it about 3 days ago. Squawk! Clack, Clack, Clack, Clack!! OVER & OVER! Like she's aggitated or something. Seems fine otherwise--- ??

Last edited:
Perhaps she's calling out to other chickens? You only have the one? Maybe she's lonely? I'd just watch her, she could be trying to tell you something.

*thanks, LC-- yes, I only have Chook; Like a hen with one chick, I'm always fretting when she seems the least out of sorts. Looking at her closely, I think she needs her beak trimmed & that's why she's clacking it. I've done toenails on birds b/f-- but never trimmed a beak. Does anybody have any experience or pointers for me???

Last edited:
Beak trimming/burning is cruel. She will be deformed forever. It won't grow back. she will never again be able to eat normally. Please do NOT do this. Get her a friend. Chickens are very social creatures -hence the living in a flock. She needs a chicken friend to spend time with.

*HOLD UP!! I'm NOT Talking about de-beaking Miss Chook at all!! Only that her beak is a little long at the TIP and looks like its starting to curl!! GADS!! I'd never de-beak her, for crying out loud!! Actually, I looked again-- holding her and her upper beak IS curling down at the tip, nearly a 1/4inch. There's very little in the yard that serves for her to 'file' her beak on. It's all soft sand and soft plants. There are a couple stepping stones, but even they're pretty smooth. I've seen her trying to rub her beak on stuff but never thought too much about it until the clacking started all the time.

Last edited:
*Wow!!-- For the first time, I'm REALLY kinda . . . .
sad.png
roll.png
(sigh) What-ever. ANYBODY ELSE??????? THINK I'LL MAIM, MANGLE or KILL MY chicken if I use an **EMORY BOARD** a little bit????

Last edited:
I have use an emory board on my bantys beak before withno harm done. I just even it out and stay away from the quick. Hers always grow to long and she dosn't wear it down. Go for it just go easy!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom