"Claire" has started crowing- CRAP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Noobchick, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    The "hen" we have named Claire has been practicing "her" crowing for the last few mornings. I'm still in a little bit of denial, hoping this chicken is actually a hen but who has taken over rooster roles because there isnt a rooster.

The chicken in question is an Ameracauna, and I do have another Ameracauna to compare it to. They're about the same size, similarly colored combs the only difference is that Claire's tail has droopy irridescent feathers; Eleanor has black feathers that stand upright.

After doing some research though it seems that Ameracaunas are especially tricky to sex.

I know it was irresponsible of me, but I have become attached to all of my chickens as pets. So the idea of Claire becoming someones dinner isnt really a thought I like to consider.

Once the chicken starts practicing its crowing, what are the chances it could still be a hen?? [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Pictures would help, but based on your description of the tail....she's a he..[​IMG] I'm not allowed roo's either, but my neighbors have said they don't mind. I keep everyone in the coop until about 9 am to help muffle the sound until a reasonable hour, and really, they aren't as bad as the pack of yappy dogs who live across the street. I can barely hear the crowing over the barking. [​IMG]

3. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Clair-ance [​IMG]

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

floppy iridescent feathers, is very rooooish. [​IMG]

5. ChickenHeaven

ChickenHeaven New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    My friend mentioned to me that hens will start crowing if there isn't a rooster hope it doesn't happen to me sorry![​IMG]

6. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Quote:Lmao! Working on posting pics now. Still [​IMG]

7. BC Williams

BC Williams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Yes, it is possible for a hen to 'try' to crow:) I had a crowing hen. It was cute and very feeble!
    Lasted a short time, though. I swear, I think she was just trying to get back at roo and all HIS
    sons for the extended, early morning contest. Quite unnerving when the boys are learning. [​IMG]

8. Noobchick

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Here are pictures: Thanks in advance to you all for taking a look and offering your opinions.

The two Ameracaunas, for comparison

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of comb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eleanor, the other Ameracauna, again for comparison
    [​IMG]

“Claire”, in comparison
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  9. Nicole01