Clara or Claude? 12 weeks old

Barbiesbrood

Hatching
Apr 14, 2015
Help. Am I just in denial?

It looks like a pullet to me. I can get a good picture of my hen when I get home. But she had a large comb and waddles as well at that age. Everyone thought it was a rooster until she started laying.

The amount of color in the comb and wattle and the disparity between the amount of grey and white in the barring would point to cockerel.

It looks like a pullet body and a cockerel head. At 12 weeks I don't know if hackle and saddle feathers would have come in yet, but the wider darker barring leads me to think its a pullet.

Thanks for your input. I really hope it is female. It is about the same size as my Buff Orpington pullers of the same age, no upright posture and non dominant or aggressive. It was totally black at 2 weeks. However, that comb and wattles came in very early!
I would love to see pics of your hen xish.

I don't have any of her from only being a few months old. But I have some from winter and her now at a little over a year old. It's very noticeable that she has a much bigger comb and waddles than my black star which is the same age.

I don't have any of her from only being a few months old. But I have some from winter and her now at a little over a year old. It's very noticeable that she has a much bigger comb and waddles than my black star which is the same age.

The issue is not the size of her comb/wattles in general, or in comparison to other breeds, - it is the size and color of those very parts at the age of 12 weeks. Comparing them to those of a hen over a year old is an apples to oranges comparison.

Back
Top Bottom