Clara's hobby: breaking out

Zah-zah

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 8, 2007
On every website I've read Brahma's and Malines chickens don't fly higher than about 3 feet (1 meter). So thats the hight of my fence. Joséphine was the first to fly over, Charlotte followed. But just 1 time each. About 10 days ago Clara found out how t get out of the run... and since that day I'm always worried. a week ago a friend came to visite, but I wasn't home, she found Clara walking around at the backdoor. So she called me.
It's been a daily job to put Clara back in the run. Luckely she always follows me when I call her name and go into the run.
This morning I put extra wires on the fence to make in 4 feet high. But 2 houres later I went to check on 'm before work and again she was running around outside the run.

I love my animals, but I always seem to have special once who like to break free. I've had the same problem with my rabbits. They are 5 years old now and finally gave up...

Does anyone have tips of tricks to keep my chickens inside?? They can't sit on top of the fence, that's just a rope.

I am a little confused about the fence that is keeping your chickens in. Do you have pictures? I know that some places sell poultry netting that is actually a cloth shaped like chicken wire. You could try adding some chicken wire along the top of your fence, to make it a little taller without having to make a roof.

Yeah, my brahma (she's bantam) can fly higher than that. I'd go with the suggestion of poultry netting or deer netting to drape over the top of the fence. Are you not afraid of predators getting in?

I don't know the dimensions of your run, but we had to resort to putting chicken wire on the top of our run to keep hawks from diving into run and munching on our flock. You may consider that or the netting to put on top to keep them in.

What's the size of your run and what is it made out of?

Back
Top Bottom