Class pets

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
My biology class is getting class pets. The school doesn't care what we get so long as we take care of it.
cool.png
We already know we're having fish. People want gerbils,hamsters,snakes,tarantulas, lizards,hedgehogs, and rabbits.
roll.png
What do you guys think would be an awesome pet? Its OK if its not on the list.

How old are your students?

I highly recommend rats. They are friendly, clean, smart and do not mind (if not enjoy) being handled. All of mine answered to their names and got along well with my cats, fish and visitors.

Gerbils and hamsters do not like being handled and bite. If the students are young, you run the risk of dropping or squeezing that will hurt, if not kill, your pet.

Good point Chicken Boo. I totally forgot about the age factor. We're all between 14 and 16 years old. O, and I'm just a student. Our Biology teacher says we can pick it and we can buy it cause he's not living with 40-11 pets cuz we couldn't pick 1.
tongue.png
Also the class pet lives with 1 of us over breaks and during the summer so we have to REALLY want it.

Last edited:
I agree with the rat suggestion too. We had a rat as a class pet once when I was in school and she was great. They're much nicer than hamsters and gerbils.

I would not recommend bearded dragons as a class pet. We have one and love him dearly, but IMO they wouldn't be ideal classroom pets under most circumstances.

I would also recommend rats. I never thought I would say this but they are good pets. When I was in Middle School one of my science teacher had a pet rat. Everyone loved him!

Rats are definately the way to go.
Rabbits Lizards, gerbils and hedgehog all get skittered when too many people try to handle them, most dont like change.
Rats on the other hand are attention hogs and will give many hours of structure.

When deciding on which pet for a class project, PLEASE talk with your parents. when classes break for holidays and summer generallly a Parent has to decide if such a pet can be lived with in their home.
remember some parents are of an age where Rats are vermine and do not belong in a pet situation.
Same can be said for many other class room pets.

Personally I have no issue with spiders, snakes, mice. fish. lizards but to be quite frank the thought of a rat living in the house with me all summer gives me cold chills.

Back
Top Bottom