1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Class pets

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BantyHugger, Aug 26, 2008.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    My biology class is getting class pets. The school doesn't care what we get so long as we take care of it. [​IMG] We already know we're having fish. People want gerbils,hamsters,snakes,tarantulas, lizards,hedgehogs, and rabbits. [​IMG] What do you guys think would be an awesome pet? Its OK if its not on the list.

2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    How old are your students?

I highly recommend rats. They are friendly, clean, smart and do not mind (if not enjoy) being handled. All of mine answered to their names and got along well with my cats, fish and visitors.

Gerbils and hamsters do not like being handled and bite. If the students are young, you run the risk of dropping or squeezing that will hurt, if not kill, your pet.

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

i like bearded dragons! they are easy to care for and stuff and cool!!!

4. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Good point Chicken Boo. I totally forgot about the age factor. We're all between 14 and 16 years old. O, and I'm just a student. Our Biology teacher says we can pick it and we can buy it cause he's not living with 40-11 pets cuz we couldn't pick 1. [​IMG] Also the class pet lives with 1 of us over breaks and during the summer so we have to REALLY want it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My students like our Coturnix Quail, they are cute to watch and they have family dynamics that they can learn from too. I have 11 - 13 year olds.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I agree with the rat recommendation. Rats make awesome pets and are very sociable if raised from the beginning with humans.

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I say go with the rats [​IMG]
    Males are my laid back, then females,but both make great pets

8. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I agree with the rat suggestion too. We had a rat as a class pet once when I was in school and she was great. They're much nicer than hamsters and gerbils.

I would not recommend bearded dragons as a class pet. We have one and love him dearly, but IMO they wouldn't be ideal classroom pets under most circumstances.

9. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I would also recommend rats. I never thought I would say this but they are good pets. When I was in Middle School one of my science teacher had a pet rat. Everyone loved him!

10. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Rats are definately the way to go.
    Rabbits Lizards, gerbils and hedgehog all get skittered when too many people try to handle them, most dont like change.
    Rats on the other hand are attention hogs and will give many hours of structure.

When deciding on which pet for a class project, PLEASE talk with your parents. when classes break for holidays and summer generallly a Parent has to decide if such a pet can be lived with in their home.
    remember some parents are of an age where Rats are vermine and do not belong in a pet situation.
    Same can be said for many other class room pets.

Personally I have no issue with spiders, snakes, mice. fish. lizards but to be quite frank the thought of a rat living in the house with me all summer gives me cold chills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by