Classroom Hatching Project - The Wonder of Life

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
I'm considering allowing my high school advanced biology students do an egg to chick project this upcoming semester. I'm not ready for the eggs quite yet, but is anybody willing to donate any eggs (free or cheap) to this effort? I have chickens of my own, but it gets boring to hatch the same kind of chicks over and over again. (Yes, I can't believe that I said that...)

Probably will do this project in March or April, depending on how fast we move through the book.

I'll take that into consideration. We have Buffs, so they are some that I have been hatching over and over again.
jumpy.gif

Also, if anybody is wondering what will happen to the chicks after they hatch: they will go home with me because of school policy.

i can give you some of my salmon faverolle eggs. mostly they would be mix but you have a chance of pure. i hatch them and it is fun to see what traits they will carry. the last batch all the barred ones had five toes and feather footed and the reds were four toed. but this batch i got red, yellow and black and they all were feather footed but none had five toes.... it is fun.

By the time you are wanting them I can send you some eggs...You'll have to PM me and remind me though...I forget things easily. I can honestly say it would be quite a combination.
I have everyone except the Jizzles running together right now but as soon as we have good weather to get the separate coops built we will be doing that project so I can separate a few of my breeds. I will always have my BR running with his ladies which are Australorp, soon White Cochin Standard size, Buckeye, Partridge Silkie(Thought they'd be ugly but these babies end up cute), BR girlie by Spring maybe, and maybe the Ancona, she's pretty picky though and really has taken a liking to the Spitzhauben roo so her babies could be either guy. Then there are the bantams and they are all pure but mingling together so some may end up pure and most not. And also the only ones separated right now are the Jizzles and there is a Buff Cochin bantam in with them right because she was bought with them.

Cindy

PM me when you want them and I can send you some.

Your options are:
In the banty coop a mille fleur rooster over-
mille fleur hen
blue silkie hen
white silkie hen
white EE (standard)
grey EE (standard)

In the big girl coop a buff orp rooster over-
buff orp hens
silver laced wyandotte
golden laced wyandotte (I just hatched a few of the BOx wyandottes. There are baby pics on my blog. They are cute mixes and apparently sex-linked.)
If some of the others start laying, I"ll also have welsummer x BO and a variety of EE x BO eggs.

Just let me know and they are yours!

Check with us when you need them and see what we have.

Good Luck!
Jim and Kaye

count me in for cotourix quail...I will send you enough that you can crack open several per day to check the development. I do this in my classroom and the kids love it. Granted there comes a point when it looks like something and parts are moving and well beating and some of the kids tear up but it is the best way I know of showing development hands on...holler when you are ready...by then I should be able to supply around 60?

I work with middle school kids breeding chickens. They learn about genetics and dominant and recessive traits and how to create sexlinks. I'm always interested what projects ideas folks have for school kids and eggs.

What will your project cover?

Quote:
Planning on covering genetics and development. Again, it just depends on how quickly this group goes through the material. If they seemed to be enjoying it, we may take a little longer on this and tie it in to other topics.

Back
Top Bottom