Clavamox source!

Hi Kathy,

I treated a hen for 6 days with Clavamox and can't seem to find any information on withdrawal times before eating her eggs. It has been 10 days since she has had it and she has layed 6 eggs in a row now. She didn't lay for the first few days after treatment. We have been tossing her eggs so far.

The vet I got the Clavamox from just said "oh, a week or so" and that was it. I'm not going back to him for several reasons, but he doesn't seem to put much thought into his chicken care.

Thank you for any insight.

Clavamox is Amoxicillin with I think Clavulanic Acid(to keep it from upsetting the animals stomach). That said I just finished taking a 10 day course of Amoxicillin, so it is safe for humans and after 10 days I would think the amount in the eggs would be negligible. I would feel comfortable eating them. JMO

This is what this site says:

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/clavamox-_amoxicillin-clavulanic-acid_.aspx

CLAVAMOX® (AMOXICILLIN / CLAVULANIC ACID)

Unique dual mode of action provides broad spectrum coverage

clavamox_product.jpg
CLAVAMOX is the only potentiated penicillin approved for veterinary use in dogs and cats. CLAVAMOX combines the broad-spectrum antibiotic activity of amoxicillin with unique β-lactamase-inhibiting effect of clavulanic acid for powerful, broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity.

This is what this site says:

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/clavamox-_amoxicillin-clavulanic-acid_.aspx

CLAVAMOX® (AMOXICILLIN / CLAVULANIC ACID)

Unique dual mode of action provides broad spectrum coverage

clavamox_product.jpg
CLAVAMOX is the only potentiated penicillin approved for veterinary use in dogs and cats. CLAVAMOX combines the broad-spectrum antibiotic activity of amoxicillin with unique β-lactamase-inhibiting effect of clavulanic acid for powerful, broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity.

Good point, I forgot about penicillin allergies. My doctor never even asked if I was allergic, and it's a new Dr. because my old one just retired. Good thing I am not allergic. So I'd still feel comfortable eating them, but anyone with penicillin sensitivities or allergies shouldn't!

So what does the Clavulanic acid do? I had a vet tech once tell me that it was just added to make it more palatable, but that doesn't appear to be the case from what I just read.

Last edited:
Quote:

Good point, I forgot about penicillin allergies. My doctor never even asked if I was allergic, and it's a new Dr. because my old one just retired. Good thing I am not allergic. So I'd still feel comfortable eating them, but anyone with penicillin sensitivities or allergies shouldn't!

So what does the Clavulanic acid do? I had a vet tech once tell me that it was just added to make it more palatable, but that doesn't appear to be the case from what I just read.
That is a good question... perhaps one of these people can answer that for us. @LadyHawkeAvry and @kittydoc , can you answer that for us?

Thanks,
Kathy

Clavamox is Amoxicillin with I think Clavulanic Acid(to keep it from upsetting the animals stomach). That said I just finished taking a 10 day course of Amoxicillin, so it is safe for humans and after 10 days I would think the amount in the eggs would be negligible. I would feel comfortable eating them. JMO

I've taken Amoxicillin too in the past, waaaaay long ago. I think it we wait 14 eggs worth, we should be ok.

That is a good question... perhaps one of these people can answer that for us. @LadyHawkeAvry and @kittydoc , can you answer that for us?

Thanks,
Kathy

It makes it broader-spectrum. Ampicillin has more resistance than the combination in Clavamox. Clavulanic acid makes the combo less likely to encounter resistant bacteria. It does not taste good, and it makes a lot of animals and people sick to their stomach. It should be taken/given with food. Even then, in dogs and cats, it still causes about 10% to puke. If they puke just once, we usually leave them on it. If they puke twice, then we take them off and use something else.

I've never used it in chickens, but guess there is no reason why not. Chickens won't puke, but the nausea could put them off their feed. I would use the same withdrawal time as ampicillin, which is no doubt listed somewhere (I have it bookmarked, but my list is so long I'd have to hunt for it). I think a week sounds right, though.

I have a hen that is on Clavomax right now. I took her to the vet for breathing issues, found she had also swallowed a washer and has roundworms. Because the vet was not sure what was causing the breathing issues she put her on the antibiotic. All 6 of my girls are being treated for worms, Simone (the sicker one) has to have 5 doses in a row. She will be on the antibiotic for two weeks. The time frame where we can't eat their eggs I was told is 6 weeks, but that is for the worm meds.

What is the dosing for the clavamox you all use? The liquid I know is 62.5mg/mL ... trying to fill a script and unsure of dose ranges.

What is the dosing for the clavamox you all use? The liquid I know is 62.5mg/mL ... trying to fill a script and unsure of dose ranges. 

When it was prescribed for a 3kg bird of mine, I was told to give her one 250 mg tablet twice a day for ten days. Had another that weighed 4kg and was told to give him two tablets twice a day.

So one got 83 mg/kg, the other got 125 mg/kg.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom