Cleaned out the freezer and waterer update.

oxfordethan

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I had alot of freezer burned foods. So the girls got some treats. I thawed a quart of potato soup (ham, celery, carrots, etc) just so it would slide out of the container. The girl pecked at that frozen block of soup like it was going out of style. So this morning I threw out about half a bag of freezer burn strawberries for them before i went to work.

I purchased one of the "cat sized" 2 sided food bowls. It's the auto waterer kind that you put a 1 liter bottle on. So the 1 side has water and the other side has oystershell in it. I keep a couple of liter bottles frozen so in the morning I can go out and replace them. I read somewhere that chickens could care less about cold water...whatever...makes me feel better. Anyhoos, it works great for my small flock of 2.

I can provide pics if needed.

I have never read that they don't like cold water and my experience has been that they do. For the past few years, in summer I have frozen gallon milk jugs 7/8 full of water and put it in their water bowl around 1pm on triple digit days (almost every day this year
sad.png
). They come running when they see me coming with the ice and immediately enjoy a nice, long, cold drink. One has even figured out that standing IN the ice cold water feels pretty good so she'll find a space next to the ice to stand and cool off.

^ i agree. How can they NOT like it? I also throw out a half gallon frozen water jug for them to huddle next to during the day.

When I change the water it's very cold (we have a well) and they hardly touch it. An hour or two later they start drinking and even later, when it's probably pretty warm, they're all gathered around it.

Back
Top Bottom