"Cleanest" butcher for taxidermy?

Yeah my friend said something about touching the foot with one wire and the foot with another. I had the same reaction that you have. 😱
I just read that on a taxidermy forum, seems that way and injecting air into the brain with a needle are the preferred methods.

Sure would be interested to see the finished product. Is this a particularly magnificent bird, or just something to practice on? Picture of the bird now would be nice too, actually.
This is our special guest. He's beautiful, I just have 2 mille fleur roosters. The other has muffs and a beard and a decent personality so I'm keeping 1. So pratice I guess.
20200924_175348.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I really was not sure where to post this but have always found open minded, practical people in the Meat Birds section so here goes.
I collect curiosities and over the years have cleaned skulls from some of the birds I've raised with great results (from goose down to quail). Now I'm going into fall with too many Millie Fluer bantam roosters. I'd love to try to taxidermy one. Usually use the broomstick method on poultry but I'd like to keep the head on and skin intact as much as possible.
What's the best HUMANE way to kill a bantam so the carcass isn't damaged? I'm not sure I'm strong enough to dislocate the neck cleanly.
Thank you!
Thank you. This is something I've been reading about for years, have collected books on and would like to try myself. It will be a ton of work but something I'll be proud of. I'm thinking shooting it would probably be best but was looking for an alternative because it might be a bit harder to repair the damage on a bantam then, say a duck.
@The Phantom does taxidermy, they can probably give you advice.

Whenever I have a bird that needs to be put down I take 1cc of rubbing alcohol and inject it right behind the head just into the skull. They do not flinch or struggle at all if done right. They literally just pass out instantly without any flapping or twitching. Best if done with 25 gauge needle so there is little to no pain. If your interested in trying this let me know and I can post some pics with more details

Whenever I have a bird that needs to be put down I take 1cc of rubbing alcohol and inject it right behind the head just into the skull. They do not flinch or struggle at all if done right. They literally just pass out instantly without any flapping or twitching. Best if done with 25 gauge needle so there is little to no pain. If your interested in trying this let me know and I can post some pics with more details
Thanks for replying! Can you explain this a bit more? Are you actually piercing the skull and how much force is needed for that?

This is our special guest. He's beautiful, I just have 2 mille fleur roosters. The other has muffs and a beard and a decent personality so I'm keeping 1. So pratice I guess.View attachment 2346848
Thank you. He is handsome. Good luck with your project, I hope it goes well.

Back
Top Bottom