Cleaning a dirty butt.....

Older hens start accumulating fat below the vent, creating a shelf effect which prevents the poop from shooting clear of the feathers. I have a handful of retired hens in this category.

In spite of snow and below freezing temps, they get regular butt baths to avoid the skin inflammation accumulated poop can cause. The procedure is relatively simple.

A warm basin of water, some baby shampoo and a hair conditioner are the supplies you will need. Some hand towels to pat dry the feathers, then a blow dryer to finish drying the hen are also necessary.

I back the hen up to the basin of water. Squirt a dab of shampoo onto the crust after splashing some water on the crust to soften it. Work the shampoo into the dried poop until it loosens, pulling it off the feathers. Rinse well. Then massage some conditioner into the wet feathers and rinse again. I've only recently discovered that the hair conditioner helps to restore feather quality after the shampoo removes critical oils.

Then pat dry and blow dry until the butt is nice and fluffy. Good as new and ready to go back outdoors into the cruel, frozen winter.
:goodpost:

With this kind of moral support, anyone should feel like they could tackle a poopy chicken butt.

No, when it reaches the point of caked on slop, the chicken won't be able to preen it away. I've watched them try, even with some attempted help from their flock mates. This is when they need their human care taker to be strong and suck it up and deal with it!

Seriously! If it helps i always pretend I'm a miner looking for that light at the end of the tunnel...breaking big rocks into little ones. ;)
With this kind of moral support, anyone should feel like they could tackle a poopy chicken butt.

No, when it reaches the point of caked on slop, the chicken won't be able to preen it away. I've watched them try, even with some attempted help from their flock mates. This is when they need their human care taker to be strong and suck it up and deal with it!

Wow.
You guys are either all nuts or ............ hmm... can't think of an alternative. You're all nuts!!!!!

I will try with scissors first. Then a spray bottle and a cloth. She is not coming into my house and getting the spa treatment. Nope, wont happen.

But its good to know there are such kind chicken owners out there.... :clap

You can be assorted. I'm mixed! Yep, mixed nuts! I guess deluxe would be better. OK, I'm deluxe mixed nuts with no peanuts. Or Private label, chocolate dipped, deluxe mixed nuts. Skip the chocolate, that's Banty.

Before it was cold, I hosed a bird butt down in the yard. Air dried for that natural fluffy look. Worked well. She preened and dried off perched on a log in the sun. The scissors was the best option.

So @Chickassan , what shampoo do you recommend for real poo? If the hen preens after her treatment, does she foam at the mouth like a rabid coon? Do they complain about the taste? The birds or the coons for that matter.

@RUNuts I use no drought made by lush cosmetics. No foaming , no complaints. They smell way better than chickens actually should smell, i don't really ever see coons, i have them but maybe they aren't interested in my scented chickens? .If I've actually got to wet wash the girls I use dr.bronners (sp?)castille soap. Last time i did that Susan got a rose scented tush i believe. :)

Back
Top Bottom