Cleaning and Maintenance of the Chicken Home

Can you post pictures of your coop, inside and out, and the run if you have one?
It would also be highly advantageous to update your profile with your general location as where you are in the world as the climate you are dealing with makes a difference.

I use poop boards covered in granular Sweet PDZ under the roosts and scoop the boards every morning. The full buckets get dumped in one bay of the compost bin.
I have a predator proof run attached to the coop so I never close the pop door.
This means that very little poop is deposited in the coop. Most of the poop load hits the boards or is in the wood chip covered run slowly decomposing.
Therefore, I only clean out the coop bedding annually. It gets layered into the previous years poop load to continue composting for a year.
I've never removed material from the run. I have added to it with fresh wood chips as needed.

Last edited:
My ground coops only have shavings added to them, I never remove it since they break down to dirt. My floor coops I scrape out between every 4 months and once a year depending on the size of the coop and how many birds are in there. The more space and ventilation and the less birds, the longer I go between cleanings, and only clean them because they don't break down as well

Living in Pakistan
Winters are coming it will be like 0 degrees Celsius to 4 Degrees Celcius in December January
Then February will be like 8-10 Degrees
In June 49 Degrees Celcius

Living in Pakistan
Winters are coming it will be like 0 degrees Celsius to 4 Degrees Celcius in December January
Then February will be like 8-10 Degrees
In June 49 Degrees Celcius

So not very cold then. It's easier to manage the bedding when the poop doesn't cause it to freeze in lumps.

My article has photos of what my soiled bedding looks like.

I go by sight and smell. If I can smell anything I add more bedding. If it looks too dirty I add more bedding.

Back
Top Bottom