Cleaning Baby Pool Brooder

CGould

Hatching
Feb 25, 2019
Hi! We have 10 babies arriving at the end of April. I am considering using a baby pool w/ cardboard sides, but how do you get the shavings out to clean it? We have used a Tupperware tub and the graduated to a dog crate in the past, but the crate probably isn’t big enough for 10.

You could also line the pool with a tarp, and then when it came time to clean it just remove the chicks and feeder/waterer and carry the tarp and debris outside- a quick hosing down of the tarp, if it was messy, add more shavings and you'd be good to go.

We bought 2 clear totes 50 gallon from Walmart and put a door between. I use a dust bin to remove the chips everyday. They have a bowl of dirt with grit, food, water and a little roost made of dowel rod. Having the two totes together makes cleaning easy, we just shoo them into one while cleaning the other.

i would put the chicks in a tupper ware tub
Yep, works for me:
upload_2019-2-26_16-0-25.png

I save my paper feed bags for lining brooders. I cut the ends off just to open them, then cut from end to end to form one, 3 layered sheet. I leave the layers together, there's a thin plastic sheet in between that helps keep the brooder underneath dry.
Roll it up with bedding and toss or burn..

Back
Top Bottom