Cleaning Chicken Poop In Coop!

I have a dirt floor too. I scrape the ramps and walks near their roosts, and a pick out poop daily from the straw beds. I rake weekly and compost. I like the idea of vinegar spray.

/img/smilies/th.gif Well I am tired from just reading what you all do. I have a dirt floor in my coop and my job is pretty easy. I just rake it all out and into a big compost pile it goes...  now I know why I have a dirt floor /img/smilies/bun.gif

I'm new to having chickens but mine have a grass and dirt floor area outside where my 6 like to hang out. I've had no smell and no apparent piles of poop so I'm wondering, do I need to be fussing over this or just let nature take its course? Should I put pine shavings down for them or just let them be?

Hi, I'm new to this site but wanted to share a great tool I found to keep our yard clean. Check out Jibber Gear pooper scoopers at www.poopscoopusa.com. We bought the tool for our dogs, but when we moved to a rural home, the previous owners had a number of small animals (including chicken and geese) and the yard/buildings needed a lot of cleaning. The scoop is like a small manure fork - a really well made utility tool that's sturdy and makes cleaning up easy. Scoop with one hand and keep a pail in the other hand. Anyway, I'm glad to be a new member and look forward to learning great tips from everyone. Like I said we just moved to a rural home and have room now to start our own 'flock' in the next year or so. Thank you!

actually, i advise avoiding bleach water because if that water were to somehow get into their food then it could kill them. and if it doesn't get into their food, what about the ground? chickens a lot of times will peck around the ground for insects and if the bleach is washed onto the ground it most likely will kill them...

I know this reply is old, but there is little to no risk of this overall... Chlorine will evaporate in short, after a few hours very little chlorine will be left, by the next day in most cases all will be gone... And chickens like most larger animals have no issues with a little chlorine, that is why it's used in almost every municipal water supply as a disinfectant...

So at the end of the day there is little chance that diluted chlorine wash will hurt the chickens in any way, especially if you let it air out for a bit before letting the chickens return... Now, as others have said, some chlorine gas will be given off quickly when in contact with ammonia in the poop, this is a irritant and obviously not good for you, but in a well ventilated area risk is minimal... You will be coughing like a mad man if the concentrations get high enough to cause issues, and by then you best be heading for the exit not sticking around... Either way this is going to take a significant build up to actually cause any long term issues and in most cases it's not an issue at all...

Bleach is a very good disfectant but with ammonia from the chick pee it is very air toxic Having allergys I believe cidar vinegar a safer way to go for me and my chicks

So I have a product that's ready to go out in most of the big tractor supply stores it is called the coop cleaner and it is a device that almost works like a leaf blower but it sucks up the chicken poop and any soiled material it goes into a bag and it has a triple filtration system so you get none of that contaminated air coming out! rechargeable battery easy for kids to use too no more poop in the air

Back
Top Bottom