Cleaning coop during winter

pglegjig

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2019
Hi everybody..... Never had an issue with lice and mites in the coop during fall/winter but do this year. Live on an island in the Pacific Northwest so it rains A LOT and strong winds (15-20mph) are almost daily. What can I do to evict these horrible parasites? Heard about smothering them with vegetable oil but is there a way I can clean the coop before spraying the oil? The coop will never dry out this time of year unless you have some sort of magical process. Heat lamps are not a good idea because there is a lot of grass between a plug and the coop and I am incredibly paranoid of a negative outcome. PLEASE HELP ME! Most of all please help my girls!

I’d be skeptical of vegetable oil. And the mess! And then it might not even work. This will definitely kill the mites. I’ve used it on newly hatched chicks w no ill effects. I also use it in the garden on veggie plants. Permethrin is an insecticide but it is what they put in lice shampoo for kids. so it is generally considered safe for humans as well.
B20C9F1E-7809-4FC5-BBBD-24A4B3736E62.jpeg

You might have an easier time applying the dust with a garden duster for powder. Sorry, don't have a picture. Then you can spray the powder into all the nooks and crannies in the coop.

I’d be skeptical of vegetable oil. And the mess! And then it might not even work. This will definitely kill the mites. I’ve used it on newly hatched chicks w no ill effects. I also use it in the garden on veggie plants. Permethrin is an insecticide but it is what they put in lice shampoo for kids. so it is generally considered safe for humans as well.
View attachment 3307854
whether it is applicable or not, I like to add the disclaimer that Permethrin is toxic to cats.

View attachment 3307854
Do you know if there is an egg withdrawal period with this product? Thank you

There's no egg withdrawal when using permethrin, and it works very well. If you can get th liquid concentrate, it's much easier to use, and less expensive.
Cats need to be out of the coop when you use permethrin, for sure! If you use the liquid as a spray, it's safe for them after it's dry.
Wear at least a N95 face mask, long sleeves, etc, when using any insecticide!!!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom