cleaning coop

Then shop vac.
Then open everything up and leaf blow.
Why blow when the vac probably got it all?
I still can't imagine that what's blown all goes out the windows.
RonP had his coop pressurized enough with two blower motors that it did all go out a couple open windows. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dust-no-more.68161/#ams-comment-511298

I went in, two big hens were having a fine dust bath on the poop boards. They were both rather unceremoniously tossed out the door.
:gig
I hate it when they do that!
Why I keep the PDZ in a thin layer.

:gig
I hate it when they do that!
Why I keep the PDZ in a thin layer.
My layer is thin. They don't seem to care! Drives me nuts.
Why blow when the vac probably got it all?
Because it doesn't.
When I leaf blow after vacuuming it still looks like Pig Pen is running around the coop. Even with all this, you still can't get all the dust out. It's insane.

Even with all this, you still can't get all the dust out.
IKR? Why I only bother with the thicker build up areas.
My layer is thin. They don't seem to care! Drives me nuts.
Once in a great while one will try it, not often.
But they have a great deep and dry area they use.

thanks everyone! i think i’ll use most of your suggestions and no water. i like the 2 blower system that RonP uses but i’ll start out with a big fan blowing into coop while i use the blower inside. i’ll let you know how this works! thank you!
Fan blowing in has got to be strong and sealed tight with only one or two other openings in the coop for the exhaust.
Didn't work in mine because I have open soffits, and not a strong enough blower.

IKR? Why I only bother with the thicker build up areas.

Once in a great while one will try it, not often.
But they have a great deep and dry area they use.

Fan blowing in has got to be strong and sealed tight with only one or two other openings in the coop for the exhaust.
Didn't work in mine because I have open soffits, and not a strong enough blower.
OK Art- I have the Woods coop so will not be able to seal all the openings to only having 1 or 2. Ill try the fan going crosswise first, directing the air to front and side screens, not front to back where there is no openings.

OK Art- I have the Woods coop so will not be able to seal all the openings to only having 1 or 2. Ill try the fan going crosswise first, directing the air to front and side screens, not front to back where there is no openings.
If you really want to get all the dust out, I'd just use a shop vac.
It will be the quickest and most effective.

well this will make my life easier! i thought a yearly wash down was a must! i’ve used the blower before but it seems to just stir it up instead of remove it. How about vacuuming?
Probably depends on how you blow it. Vacuuming works for a lot of folks, but I passed on a free shop vac (garage is getting full!) so I still use a blower. I just blow right out the door and anything up high goes out the vents in and under the roof.

Note that that only gets the surface dust. Broom handles the rest. I don't need it perfect. If the chickens can live with a bit of dust, so can I.

When I was cleaning the front windows yesterday I heard what I thought was scratching around in the coop litter for the little bit of seed I tossed in there. When I went in, two big hens were having a fine dust bath on the poop boards. They were both rather unceremoniously tossed out the door.

My hens stalk me while I clean the poop boards. They see the shovels, hear the scraping, and stand there and they wait. Then the PDZ goes on, and it's like catnip for hens. Every inch of poop board is covered with hens flopping and dusting around. And yes, they have a beautiful 8" deep coop bedding that they also use regularly. But the PDZ is their favorite. Doesn't matter how thin the layer.

Back
Top Bottom