Cleaning duck coop

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
I have 2 month old pekin ducks and I have straw as their bedding. As you know ducks and chickens poo a lot and their coop gets full of poop pretty quick. Since their coop gets pretty nasty by the end of the week will it be a good idea to hose down the straw between the week so the poop gets watery and goes to the bottom of the straw where the dirt is and the straw isn’t as full of poops. will this be a good idea? or will the straw just become soggy? I know this is a stupid question but i’m new at this and i try to keep it as clean as i can.

Me personal, I would say no. because everything that’s soggy can get moldy too! It’s better to give them fresh bedding a bit sooner or a bigger layer and turn it during the week so the top stays dry. It really depends on the size of your coop, number of ducks and climate where you live.

Other people can have other opinions though 😊

Me personal, I would say no. because everything that’s soggy can get moldy too! It’s better to give them fresh bedding a bit sooner or a bigger layer and turn it during the week so the top stays dry. It really depends on the size of your coop, number of ducks and climate where you live.

Other people can have other opinions though 😊
Okay! I got straw as their bedding because i was expecting for it to decompose. I have a friend that live 8 minutes from me and she said that her straw decomposes and never has to clean it. Not sure if it would be the same for me though. Do you know at what temperatures it starts to decompose and how long it would take it for it to decompose?

Honestly I clean pens everyday yes it says up time but it's better to keep it clean then pick the laz y route. Not trying to be offensive

Honestly I clean pens everyday yes it says up time but it's better to keep it clean then pick the laz y route. Not trying to be offensive
Yes I understand. I care a lot for my ducks and I like keeping it clean. I only have 2 ducks so it doesn’t get as dirty as fast. I will do as you suggest and make sure it’s always clean for them. Don’t worry about being offensive! I appreciate the help!

I pop pick every morning when the ducks get up and clean out once a week this seems to keep it nice and clean for them

I use hay (because it's free for me) and every single morning after I let my 10 runners out I clean their pen. I take a garden fork and gently put it under each poop pancake and get it out of the pen. Since ducks have the webbies they mostly flatten it down pretty good so it's very easy to do. It probably takes me 10 minutes at the most daily.

Their pen is then closed up until the time when I put them to bed. I don't want snakes slithering into the pen during the day.

Okay! I got straw as their bedding because i was expecting for it to decompose. I have a friend that live 8 minutes from me and she said that her straw decomposes and never has to clean it. Not sure if it would be the same for me though. Do you know at what temperatures it starts to decompose and how long it would take it for it to decompose?
The person who said this likely uses the deep litter method. I am not sure how it all works but @Miss Lydia does.

Back
Top Bottom